TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Brifla

Default Best Tire Surface for Parking/Storing TM

I've got an uneven area where I store my TM and am wondering what the best material is to put under the tires for storing it level. I assume some materials are better then others for the life of the tires. The choices that come to mind are concrete pavers, 2x8 wood planks, Lynx Levelers, gravel, ...? Recommendations appreciated.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

So far no problems with A. dirt, B. 2x8's, and C. grass. We have had it parked on all three.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
PopBeavers

When not in use our TM is parked in the garage on a concrete floor.

No rain and no hot sun.

For the first time, this year I have all for corner jacks down to carry some of the weight, which keeps some of it off of the tires. I am not sure it will help anything, but that is what I did.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Perhaps wmtire will chime in here, but I think that the tire manufacturers say two things. First, don't let it stand long-term on anything with a petroleum content. This would include, for example, asphalt paving and creosoted or pressure-treated wood. The second thing, if you put it on boards or blocks, they must provide solid support under the entire width of the tread. Do not let the edge of the tread hang off the edge of the boards/blocks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Brifla

Ok, given that, I'm leaning towards using concrete pavers under the tires. I may also extend the corner jacks to carry some of the weight. Seems like a good idea to help keep the tires from getting a flat spot. I've got one jack that's a real pain to raise/lower so I need to get that loosened up to make things easier. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
I've got one jack that's a real pain to raise/lower so I need to get that loosened up to make things easier. Thanks.
Could be a simple lube issue? The jackscrews tend to accumulate a lot of grit on the threads, making them really stiff. Every few months, I run each jack up and down while holding a wire brush against the threads to clean them. Once cleaned, I spray the threads, and all the sliding joints, with a Dupont Teflon (not silicone) lube available from Lowes but not Home Depot. Run the jacks up and down a couple more times, and they get really easy.

I don't do all the cranking by hand, of course. A cordless drill makes it all pretty easy.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Brifla

Yeah, I'm hoping a wire brush on the threads will do the trick (unless something is bent). I did buy some of that Dupont Teflon that you recommended so will be putting that to use. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Brian,

Another option is to remove the troublesome stabilizer jack. I removed all four of my jacks last summer; sanded, primed, painted and lubricated each with the Teflon lube. Each jack is held in place by four bolts threaded into a plate on the box main frame. Extend the jack so it is snug to the ground, loosen and remove the four bolts then carefully retract the jack enough to slide it out. Make sure to hold onto the jack when releasing the pressure - they are a bit unstable and somewhat heavy.

I did end up bending one of the curb side, front stabilizers several years ago. Once the threaded rod is bent it is nearly impossible for the jack to work properly. I ended up replacing the damaged stabilizer jack.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote