TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Crisp4253
BannedUsers

Default TM Towing with Subaru Outback?

Anyone pulling a 3023 with a Subaru Outback? Need to buy a new vehicle for work and trying to get something with Gas Mileage but can also pull the TM. Subaru is rated for 3000.
Crisp4253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp4253 View Post
Anyone pulling a 3023 with a Subaru Outback? Need to buy a new vehicle for work and trying to get something with Gas Mileage but can also pull the TM. Subaru is rated for 3000.
I sold my 2008 Subaru Forester (which I believe also had the 3000-lb. tow capacity) when I purchased my TM a little over a year ago, as I realized from reading here and elsewhere it was not going to be a sufficient (or safe) tow vehicle for a TM, I never even tried. (Yes, I know my 3124 is somewhat larger/heavier than the 3023.)

I'm not sure you can even get a large enough hitch on any Subaru to allow use of a weight-distributing hitch. Quite a short wheelbase on the Subies also. With a 4 cylinder engine (still in use on current Subarus, I think), I could pull our old (much smaller) popup camper with the Forester but it was a struggle on hills. As has been pointed out here before, it's not all about pulling, but about stopping too.

I think you might have to set your sights a little higher. I found a clean (like new) used Toyota 4Runner, and love it even more than I loved the Subies (which I'd been driving for 20 years). Even the 6-cyl. models would pull a lot better and more safely (I went with 8-cyl. for towing in the mountains at times.) Some loss of gas mileage is the trade-off you might have to accept to find a safe tow vehicle. Best wishes,
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Scott O

My son has an Outback and it is indeed a fine little car. I really like it a lot. But it is way less than adequate for pulling a TM of most any size. 3,000 lb. capacity is really way less than you need, the added weight would really tax both your engine and transmission, and the light weight would make a panic stop pretty dicey. Get something more substantial and save the Outback for the jobs it is made to do.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp4253 View Post
I personally would only select a tow vehicle that at least exceeds the GVWR of a Trailmanor. Our 2720SL GVWR is ~4200, i suspect a 3023 is at least the same or higher.

Here is a good place to compare Tow ratings and Mpg ratings together:

http://autos.aol.com/car-finder/mpg-...arts-contents/

As currently set, it lists all available vehicles with a Tow Rating greater than 4500 and a Combined Mpg rating greater than 20.

Good luck on your search!

Tim
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
rumbleweed

You need a class III hitch and I don't think any legit dealer would install one on the Suburu. The published TM weights are before options,food,propane,water and personal stuff. Great car but not if you plan to tow a TM. 2xxx or above
Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
ng2951

Too light to pull a 3023...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

I have a 3023 and we really like it. However, I would not try to tow it with anything that did not have at least a 4500 lb. tow capacity, including the appropriate oil cooler, electronics, and hitch.

We carry a lot of heavy stuff in the back of our pickup when we tow. So I suspect our TM is lighter than many others. Nevertheless that last time I weighed it on a CAT scale, with only 10 gallons of water in the tank, it weighed 4000 lbs including tongue weight.

Safety for you and yours is more important than a few bucks of gas money.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
ng2951

Let me add something else. IF you do decide to replace your TV (tow vehicle) get a TV big enough (and equipped enough) to handle you next TT(travel trailer). Replacing TVs gets expensive.

Merry Christmas...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Bob&Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Let me add something else. IF you do decide to replace your TV (tow vehicle) get a TV big enough (and equipped enough) to handle you next TT(travel trailer). Replacing TVs gets expensive.
I'll second that - that's what we did. We intend in the next couple of years to get a fifth wheel that will have most likely a 16,000 GVWR and when we found our current truck (in signature) at a price we couldn't refuse, we went ahead and upgraded our tow vehicle. It's overkill for the 3124 but it is nice to be able to maintain speed going up some steep mountain passes, then rarely have to touch the brakes on the way down the other side due to the exhaust brake. We feel very safe in this vehicle towing the TM.

We used to tow with a Ford Expedition with the 5.4 l V-8 and it performed well and we always felt safe with it, too. Got 17 mpg towing in the flats and 13-15 in the mountains with it.

Like others have said - I wouldn't even try it with a vehicle that didn't have at leat a 5,000 lb tow rating.

Regards,

Bob
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Redhawk

In case you haven't got the message yet....don't do it! I had a 6 cyc Outback, that I used to tow my ATV and trailer, approx 1200 lbs total. It was BARELY good enough to do that and I had to be careful not to overheat.
I loved the Outback, maybe the best AWD car i ever owned, but it's NOT for towing anything more than a jetski.

If I may, take a look at a Highlander. 5000 lb tow rating and great gas mileage for a SUV. We eaily got 26 on the highway and 20 around town with the V6. Pretty much the same as the Outback 6. Towing the 2619 we got 16-18 MPG. I still prefer the Tundra by a long shot though for safety and comfort. We typically tow in the mountains though, that makes a big difference.