TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
jeffrapp

Default Towing a 2720SL with a V6 Ford Explorer

Hi everyone. I have a 2006 Ford Explorer V6, 4WD, with a 3.55 axle ratio. It is factory equipped with a class II hitch, transmission cooler and electrical hookup.
Does anyone have any experience or advice about towing a TM 2720SL (2865 pounds unloaded) with this vehicle? (I'm considering buying one)
The hitch is rated at 3000#, the vehicle at 3230#. If I load the TM up, it will exceed specs.
Should I change to a Class III hitch?
Should I use stabilizer bars?
Does the low wind resistance of the TM change the towing specs in any way?
To go way out on a limb, I may be able to swap the rear axle for a 3.73 ratio, which, with a class III hitch, gives me a 5390# payload. Anyone have any experience with this probably stupid idea?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Old 07-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Solitary Refinement

We have pretty much that exact setup with the factory CL II tow package.

2006 Mercury Mountaineer (same platform as Explorer)
Upgraded to Class III Curt Hitch (5000lb tow, 500lb tongue)
750lb Weight Distribution hitch to keep rear end from sagging (although it really doesn't sag much at all without)
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Aside from a slight loss in acceleration, I can't tell much difference. Acceleration isn't a problem mind you, but it takes higher revs and perhaps dropping down a gear for that extra oomph when passing, onramps, and inclines.

Otherwise, it's not too apparent there's even a trailer back there. Steering and braking are nearly the same.
750lb Weight Distribution Hitch
Solitary Refinement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you have answered a lot of your own questions. You might consider augmenting your knowledge by downloading and reading the Ford Towing Guide for your vehicle. Go to https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...06_default.asp. If your vehicle has a 3230-pound tow rating, it says you have a 4X4 with a 3.55 gear ratio.

In the meantime, let me address some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Does anyone have any experience or advice about towing a TM 2720SL (2865 pounds unloaded) with this vehicle?
Do you plan to tow it unloaded? Otherwise, I'm not sure where you are going with this question.

Quote:
The hitch is rated at 3000#, the vehicle at 3230#. If I load the TM up, it will exceed specs.
You will be substantially exceeding the vehicle specs. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Does it to you? Loaded, your TM will come up to 3600-4000 pounds, with a hitch weight well over 400 pounds.

Quote:
Should I change to a Class III hitch?
You MUST change to Class III hitch. This includes upgrading to a 7-wire electrical harness from the 4-wire harness that is in place.

Quote:
Should I use stabilizer bars?
No. But you must use a weight distributing hitch (WDH), which has spring bars.

Quote:
Does the low wind resistance of the TM change the towing specs in any way?
Not really. It changes how hard the vehicle must work to keep the trailer moving at highway speed on flat ground. But it doesn't change how much weight is carried on the rear suspension, how hard the drive train (particularly the transmission) works to accelerate it, how hard the brakes work to do a portion of the stopping, the stresses on the steering components, and so forth. Beyond that, you live in a part of California that is beautiful - but you will be doing a lot of mountain towing. Uphill grades and high altitudes are the toughest challenges for a tow vehicle, and most of the important challenges are different from low-altitude flatland towing, where tow ratings are derived.

Quote:
To go way out on a limb, I may be able to swap the rear axle for a 3.73 ratio, which, with a class III hitch, gives me a 5390# payload. Anyone have any experience with this probably stupid idea?
It is not a stupid idea at all - it is a good one. But it is expensive, especially since the vehicle has 4WD and you must change both front and rear differentials. Several years ago, the original towing expert on this forum had a V-8 Toyota Tundra which he loved, but he felt that for his purpose - solo towing in the Rockies - it needed help. He changed all of his gearing, and was pleased with the result - but he put a lot of money into it. You can read about some of it here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2591. Although Ray is no longer active on this forum, I recommend that everyone with towing questions like yours look up and read all of Rays' posts. He was singularly knowledgeable.

All of that being said, I expect (and I welcome) posts from members who will tell you that "I tow with a V-6 Explorer and I have no trouble". You have to make your own choices.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
jeffrapp

Default Thanks

Thanks mucho to Solitary Refinement and Bill for their prompt, and as expected, somewhat contradictory answers.
I knew I must be on the cusp of this question, with no absolutely right answer (kind of like politics, not science).
My next move may be to visit a differential shop. It may be cheaper than getting a new TV.
Thanks again; you were both very helpful.
Jeff
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Solitary Refinement

Great info Bill!

I think the largest limiting factor on these Ford/Mercs are the bumper-integrated towing hitches. They're flimsy. Once you get a CL III bolted up to the frame, you've substantially mitigated the towing limitations of the factory CL I/II systems.

They're plenty capable towing rigs once you get around those 'cute' bumper hitches. Gear ratio should certainly be considered if you live in a hilly/mountainous area. I'm out here in the midwest, and as far as I can tell the world is still flat from my view.

Also should add that we're seeing about 16MPG with our setup and traveling 60-65 max on the highway.
750lb Weight Distribution Hitch
Solitary Refinement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
PopBeavers

When I weighed my 2005 TM 2720 (a foot longer than the 2619) the weight on the axle was 3380 pounds. I estimate the total weight to be 4,100 pounds.

340 pounds of that was 40 gallons of water in the fresh water tank.

I have the roof a/c, along with some other options, that add to the base weight.

You might not take as much stuff as I do.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Mrfixit

We have had a 2720SL for about 5 months now and tow it with a V-6 Explorer with the 3.55 rear end. I upgraded to a class III hitch and added a larger aftermarket tranny cooler. We live in the piedmont area of SC and camp mostly in this area and the coastal areas. We travel lightly and typically go for long weekends, and have "had no trouble" so far. A bit sluggish on steeper hills, but I don't use overdrive while towing unless we're on flat land. If we head to the mountains (Blue Ridge), we'll probably tent camp until we upgrade the TV.

My biggest question before buying the TM was trailer wiring in the Explorer. Since it didn't come with a factory tow package, I thought I'd need to add to the wiring harness for brakes, battery charging, etc. After some research, I found that all Explorers since '02, regardless of tow package, have the full 7-wire harness installed (hidden). The ends are found behind the right rear taillight and behind the glove box. The Ford connector from Prodigy connects to the glove box end, while an adapter I found online extends to the hitch area from the taillight to complete the wiring to a 7-pin RV plug.

Hope this helps.

Skip
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
surfandgolf

Even though it looks like most of the questions have been answered, I thought I'd add my 2 cents as I used to tow a pop up with my 98 explorer with the 4 liter v6, 2wd, factory tow pkg. The key word is USED to tow.

Before my TM I had a jayco pop up, but it was the big one, 12 ft box, opens to 24 ft, slide out dinette, ac, cassette toilet/shower, front storage box etc. the sticker on the side said 2700 lbs dry, 3000 gross. Being that this was my first experience with a trailer I checked my tow capacities, gear ratio and tow pkg to make sure it could handle it (granted this was after I bought it) pop ups can be towed by minivans right? I towed it off the bumper for the first couple of years and it was apparent that it was too much, it sagged pretty bad, I tried spring helpers with little change, then went to a class 3 hitch, better, but not great, it actually started bottoming out sometimes since the hitch was lower than the bumper, then I started paying attention to the weight. Once the car is filled with gas, a cooler filled with ice, luggage for 4, full propane tank, 12v battery, firewood and misc. stuff in the front storage, most of the weight was between the rear tires of the TV and the front axle of the trailer, I knew that it was way over specs. A WDH would have made a big difference as far as sag goes, but the towing capacities are based on flat conditions and living in San Diego, CA. there's not a whole lot that is flat. We camped in the desert a few times each winter and climbing over the mountains at 7000 ft really put a strain on everything, I was afraid I'd ruin my transmission, so after a few years towing with the explorer I got a good deal on a 03 F150, 4WD with the 5.4 liter v8 and couldn't be happier, it tows like a dream and I still have the explorer.
If the explorer is what you have to work with it can be done, just pay attention to weight, don't tow water, maybe eliminate 1 propane tank, I used to pull the battery when I knew we had hookups, use a WDH and turn the overdrive off, but better to have too much tow capacity than not enough.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfandgolf View Post
....I used to pull the battery when I knew we had hookups.....
Don't do this with the TM. The battery must be installed and hooked up to allow the emergency breakaway brakes to work.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
Mrfixit

Also, if considering towing with an '02 thru '05 Explorer with the 5R55W transmission, these are notorious for losing 2nd or 3rd gear at around 80k to 120k miles. Just try finding one in a junkyard - they've all been used to replace bad ones. A defective solenoid in the valve body will fail and cause the tranny to go into 2nd and 3rd simultaneously. Whichever gear loses will burn the bands and $1500 will magically fly out of your wallet! (Ford knows this is a defective part but won't issue a recall since they don't see it as a safety issue). I found a shop that was familiar with the problem and used a good aftermarket part instead of the Ford part, which the shop owner said would fail again.

Ford discontinued using this tranny after just 4 years!
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote