TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Tekonsha P3 backing up issues?

Does anybody here have any trouble backing up with their Tekonsha P3?

I'm hearing a report on another forum where a guy claims his trailer brakes lock up in reverse unless he clears the HOLD and BOOST status (press the Boost button for 5 sec and HOLD and BOOST status are cleared fro 3 minutes).

I'm guessing the brakes are in HOLD status because he depressed the brakes for 5 secs while stopped, and that HOLD did not clear when he took his foot off the brake for some reason (wouldn't that be the normal more of operation?).

I'm thinking about upgrading to the P3 to get the current readings, but I'd like to clear this up first.

Certainly no problem like this with my P2.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Bought and installed a P3 this spring replacing a Voyager and have not had any issues. Have backed up into my garage and in front of my property various times and the brakes do not lock up but are applied depending on the speed and inertia sensed by the P3. So far, I love the P3 which is a jewel compared to the Thekonsha Voyager. Hope this will help you with your decision.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have zero problems with reversing with my P3, and I never touch it to reverse, either. I've had it for 4 years, and have towed 10's of thousands of miles with it controlling trailer brakes.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
brulaz

OK, thanks. I've passed that on to the other forum. Apparently he was told by Tekonsha tech support that his brakes would lock up in reverse unless he pressed the Boost button for 5 sec to clear the HOLD and BOOST status (but they would only be cleared for 3 minutes).

Sounds like tech support hasn't ever used the device...

About that "HOLD" mode. You stop and keep your foot on the brake for more than 5 secs; the trailer brakes are supposed to go into hold mode (25% braking power). Does this show on the display? When does the "HOLD" mode go off? When you take your foot off the brake (I would think) or ... ?

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
About that "HOLD" mode. You stop and keep your foot on the brake for more than 5 secs; the trailer brakes are supposed to go into hold mode (25% braking power). Does this show on the display? When does the "HOLD" mode go off? When you take your foot off the brake (I would think) or ... ?
Never mind. Turns out the P2 has the exact same feature.

After putting my foot on the brake at rest for 5 secs, the voltage readout jumps to 2.3V and stays there until I take my foot off. It then drops down to nothing. 2.3V is about 25% of 9V, the max I have it set for.

So the HOLD goes off as soon as you take your foot off the pedal, and it's visible on the display as the 25% of max voltage. Simple.