TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default Equal-i-zer Hitch

OK this isn't a tow vehicle or trailer question, but I thought questions about hitches fit best in this category.

I have read all the previous posts on the Equalizer brand hitch, and I think I have decided to purchase one. However, I did not see any specifics on weight of hitch being used. I can purchase an 800, 1000, or 1200 lb. spring bar hitch.

Those of you using the Equilizer brand hitch from Lindon Hitches what weight do you own? Would you make any changes?

Thanks for your help.

Keith
Old 08-14-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
camperboy

Default Re:Equal-i-zer Hitch

I have the smallest model between my 3023 (actually 1990 M-26) and my Ford Ranger. Works well and I have zero complaints. Be sure to lube where they tell you to and keep the two big nuts on top of the head torqued to 45 ft-lbs. I'd buy another or upgrade if I needed a heavier hitch. Perhaps my favorite feature over the chain systems is it is always set - no counting links, etc. If you have questions I'd be glad to answer them as best I can.

Camperboy
Old 08-14-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
2619PDX

I don't have the Equalizer set up, I went with Reese, but I would recommend the 1000 # set up.

If I recall correctly, from our past discussion on the subject, the 1000 # set up seemed to be the consistant rig of choice.

Best,

Gregg
Old 08-14-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

On this one I side with Gregg. I have a Eaz-Lift WDH, but I have the model #1009 which is the 1000# tongue weight and 10000# trailer rate and I think it suits me just fine. When we first got the trailer and the dealer recommended this hitch, I thought it was going to be overkill, but it has been just perfect and I feel that it is one less thing to worry about.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
Happytrails

I have the same exact set up as CWB, Ez-Lift with 1000lbs rating. At the time I thought it was a bit of overkill, but as I picked it up used for only $135.00, I wasn't complaining. Now however, I really like it and am glad to have such a heavy duty hitch.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 08-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #6
Eutychus

We just picked up our TM today and the dealer's mechanic suggested the EAZ-LIFT. I also thought it seemed to be overkill, but since I don't know anything I kept my opinion to myself. It is good to read your posts; I feel much better about getting the hitch. It seems pretty complicated to me right now. I guess with a few trips under the belt I will realize how many things I am doing wrong on our first trips. Are there maintenance issues on this hitch like those mentioned above for the Equalizer?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:36 AM   #7
Happytrails

I'm not familiar with the Equalizer's setup, but with mine, it's pretty simple, no real maintenance issues that I'm aware of other than keeping the tubes where the bars go greased pretty well. The people that sold it to me said it's much better to swing the bars completely sideways to remove them as it's better on the retaining pin though.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails......[/glow]
Old 08-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
KdHammonds

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I purchased the Equal-i-zer with 1,000 lbs. spring bars. It arrived via UPS and I was pretty happy that it was easy to assemble and set. I am amazed at how well it levels up the Safari. The 350lbs spring bars with the Reese WDH were obviously not enough. I purchased the Equal-i-zer from RV Supply Wharehouse. While I was at it I purchased the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. I took the 3023 out tonight after getting both the Equal-i-zer and Prodigy installed. I am very pleased with the performance of both. The Prodigy inertia sensor and proportional voltage to the brakes was very nice.

Our next trip will be this coming weekend so I will give both tow additions a full test then. We are heading to Whispering Hills RV park in Holmes County, OH.

Thanks Again for the help.

Keith
Old 11-18-2003, 07:30 PM   #9
jbeletti
Jim

Default Equal-i-zer vs other WD hitches

Hi all,

My TM dealer has offered to install an Equal-i-zer WD hitch versus the Reese he'd normally use.

I have no experience with any hitch type, but from all I've read so far, I'm inclined to try the Equal-i-zer.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I'll be pulling a 3023 with a Jeep Liberty.

Thanks,

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
PAUL_R

The equal-izer is a good idea especially with your wheelbase.