TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Default how can I tell if berings are still good?

I have a 2005 model 2720 and would like to check the bearings. anyone know some simple methods on checking the bearings. I don't hear any squeeking and it seems to be riding smoothly. Just want to be sure.

thanks
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
I have a 2005 model 2720 and would like to check the bearings. anyone know some simple methods on checking the bearings. I don't hear any squeeking and it seems to be riding smoothly. Just want to be sure.

thanks
If your TM did not come with a dexter axle manual which is a valuable resource for the axle, bearings and electric brakes -- i suggest you go here to download.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/resource_library

Tim
Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Pitbull

Lift the wheel off the ground and secure with safety stands. Spin the wheel and tire to see/hear/feel any issues. It should spin freely with no noise or vibration. Then grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and try to turn/move the tire/wheel back and forth horizontally. There should not be any play at all.

Koz
Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Be aware that if the brakes are adjusted properly you will hear a slight scraping sound. http://www.rverscorner.com/Trailer_Brakes.html
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
rumbleweed

I always check the hubs at every stop while towing. If you have a temp gun that is great, if not just feel them with your hand. They should be warm after highway towing, but not hot enough that you can't leave you hand on them Compare the two sides. They should be about the same temp. This is also a great way to check for dragging ( misadjusted) brakes. Do some searches here as there was a discussion where users posted actual hub temps after towing.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
pauloh

I have been wondering about this also (bearings, amount of wear). I was told (and the original tires confirmed) that my 2004 TM (bought last fall) sat in a yard more than it rolled down the highway. I believe I've read this can be hard on bearings, to just sit there under weight.

Today I finally got my new tires (Maxxis) put on the rims at a local shop, then mounted them myself onto the TM. First time I've had the wheels off the TM. While the wheels were off, I spun the hubs...they are of course heavy, but I'm a reasonably strong guy...giving them a good spin with one hand, I would say they make about 1/2 revolution before stopping. Smooth but not easy to spin. There IS a slight rubbing noise which I just read here (thanks, Bill) is probably OK (brakes adjusted properly, and this TM does have new brakes).

Both sides spun about the same, so am guessing I'm OK, but if someone feels otherwise please let me know. I will check that hub temperature once I get this on the road for a test drive (next project...weight distributing hitch) in a week or three. I'll attach a photo of one hub for what it's worth...some rust flaking off there but doesn't look too bad I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110503-9012.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	5850  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you have never visually inspected the bearings since buying your TM, I would advise you to do so (or have someone else do it) before going on any trips. That entails cleaning the bearings, repacking them with grease, and replacing the hub seals. It's not hard, but it is messy.

It's just a good idea to do it regularly anyway, but especially so since you know it sat around for long periods of time. It's cheap insurance.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Philip

Default Bearing Play In Spindle

When you jack up the TM with the tire off the ground and you grab the tire with two hands opposite each other you SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEEL A SLIGHT PLAY(MOVEMENT) as you try to twist the tire back and forth on the spindle. It will be slight but it is absolutely necessary that there be some play. If there is no play, the bearing will not last long. See the Dexter website for instructions on setting this play.

Happy trails,

Phil

TV - 2005 Toyota 4Runner
TM - 2008 2720 with 15" wheels.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
When you jack up the TM with the tire off the ground and you grab the tire with two hands opposite each other you SHOULD BE ABLE TO FEEL A SLIGHT PLAY(MOVEMENT) as you try to twist the tire back and forth on the spindle.
I would be interested to see where you saw this. As far as I know, side-to-side play with the wheel is typically a sign of bearing failure, not proper installation. I know that tightening the castle nut too tight can put excess pressure on the bearings, and cause premature failure. But even with the nut finger tight and the bearings properly seated, I have never had any perceived side-to-side play. And I have never had any bearings fail (knock on wood).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Philip

Default Bearing Play/Installation

Hello Dave,

Go onto the Dexter Axle website and click on "Products & Literature". Next click "Service Kit Installation Sheets". Finally click "Hubs/Drums/Bearings". Look for "Bearing Adjustment and Hub Replacement".

This section tells you how to install/adjust bearings. Basically you slowly rotate the wheel while tighening the spindle nut to ~50 lb.-ft. After that you loosen the spindle nut without rotating the wheel. Then finger tighten the nut(not rotating the wheel). Next finger loosen the nut to the first point you can set the nut retaainer or cotter pin hole(depending upon the type of nut retainer system. This sets the bearing play. It is not much but you can feel it when you twist the wheel back and forth with your hands. No play is not good for the bearing.

Since you finger tightned the nut you may have had a little play which you could not detect so your bearing has survived for now. You may want to set the play properly for assured bearing life. A bearing that is at all tight will not last long - sometimes only a block or two depending on how tight it is.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote