TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
pauloh

Default Final decision on 1 of 2 Reese WDHs

I have read most if not all of many threads, discussions, wars, etc. over weight-distributing hitches, and sincerely thank those of you who have contributed from your varied experiences. I am 50 miles from the nearest dealer, and their prices are $100+ higher, so I'm going to order a WDH online and install it myself (with a buddy's help). Gotta pick a brand so I'm looking at Reese as a good one (apparently Reese may be a little lighter than other brands, seems confirmed by stated shipping weights, that was one factor).

Both of these Reese WDH are rated for 800 lbs. tongue weight (after reading here and some consideration of my TV/TM I'm OK with trying that capacity). One is round bar (#67509, at $415.) and one is trunnion style bar (#49586 at $299.) These product pages at etrailer.com (and anywhere else I could find the product descriptions) are just vague enough that trying to compare the features, I'm not sure which one to go with. For example, which is easier/better:

67509: "Adjustable spring-bar tension - just switch links in lift chains to fine-tune" "Bars flex appropriately over uneven terrain for a controlled, even ride"
49586: "Hex washers with serrations allows for quick spring bar tension adjustment" "Tapered spring bars promote better flexing for a smoother ride"

I'd pay a little more for ease of adjustment, and I know I won't need the optional sway-control for either one. The #67509 is sold by a few more retailers (google shopping search), maybe that's a good reason to go with it even at higher cost. I see it weighs about 18 lbs. less too (shipping weight). Can't really see why from the photos though.

Reese 67509: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP67509.html
Reese 49586: http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49586.html

BTW, I may actually order from autopartsdealer.com, they have good ratings and better prices, but the Reese WDH descriptions were more complete at the links above. Thank you for any comments.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Most of the TMO members who are using a WDH will have experience with only one type - the one they use. I have only used an Eaz-Lift 1000# round bar. I have installed an Equalizer Anti Sway hitch on my 2003 tm when I sold it. If it was me, I think I would go with the round bar 67509 hitch.

The Reese hitches you are looking at are probably lighter because of the hollow shank that goes into the receiver. Most other hitches use a solid shank.

I guess that the round bar Reese is lighter because the spring bars are bent instead of having a large trunnion bracket on the end.

Ease of adjustment should not be a factor. Once you have the hitch adjusted for your tow vehicle and trailer, you don't need to change it. If you are towing more than one trailer with this hitch, then this might be a concern.

The round bars may cause more mess due to the need for grease on the bent hitch end. I can't comment on grease or other lubrication on the trunnion bars.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That is a pretty big price differential, and I can't think why.

Mike is right - most of us will have experience with only one hitch. My experience is with a Reese trunnion-style hitch, and I have had no difficulty with it. The mounting stubs at the base of the trunnions are supposed to be oiled, rather than greased, so I just carry a small squirt can of 3-in-1 oil in my towing box. I also carry a small tube of white lithium grease for the ball, which is supposed to greased every couple uses.

Again as Mike says, once adjusted, there is no need ever the adjust it again unless you make a major change of tow vehicle. And just to confuse matters, the claims you quoted are describing different things.
"Adjustable spring-bar tension - just switch links in lift chains to fine-tune" refers to choosing the appropriate chain link to do the proper amount of weight distribution when you lift the hook. Both of the hitches you are considering have chains, and you can select the chain link you need, so this is no basis for comparison. On either one, once you have found the right chain link (usually something like the fifth or sixth link from the springbar tip), you will use that link forever.
"Hex washers with serrations allows for quick spring bar tension adjustment" refers to setting up the tilt of the ballmount (the big steel part that holds the ball). The springbars plug into the ballmount, so if the ballmount is tilted way forward, the springbar tips will point at the sky. If the ballmount is tilted is way back, the springbar tips will point into the ground. All hitches must have adjustable tilt, to accommodate different tow vehicle frame configurations, and part of the setup is getting the springbar tips initially pointed just below level, so that they will come up to level when you raise the chains.

As you read the descriptions, you'll notice that both hitches have tapered spring bars. Both have lift chains, and you choose the right link as part of the setup procedure. They both have adjustable tilt using washers - one has "uniquely-shaped washers", one has "hex washers with serrations". Both approaches work fine, and neither one is easier to adjust than the other.

I noticed one thing that I'm not sure about. One of them says "The round spring bars of this system slide up into the weight-distribution head and secure with pins for quick, easy installation." Since you will remove the springbars from the wight distribution head (the ballmount) every time you unhitch, you will have to deal with the pins (and not lose them). My trunnion hitch with rectangular bars does not have pins. The bar is removed by swinging it wide to the side, and it simply drops out of the socket. Since the hitch area always seems to be greasy-dirty, I guess I consider this to be a better approach, though nothing major.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

My hitch is more like this one, for $262:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49570.html
This hitch has no pins (like the trunions Bill has, the bars install from a side angle, and have a tab that keeps them from falling out after they swivel to the rear).

The shank on the hitches you are looking at are the same. They are made of a webbed steel casting that is lighter than the ones made of solid bar stock, making it less of a hassle to schlep around. The shank with the hitch ball on it is only about 35#.

It the adjustments at the hitch head to get the angle right are probably all the same.

I suspect all of these will work, so I'm not sure why I would pay more for one versus another. Why not download and read the installation instructions and go with what sounds best?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
pauloh

Thanks to all of you who took time to give me your suggestions. I like Bill's logic about the bars on the trunnion hitch perhaps being a little cleaner to remove (and no pins to keep track of), and that hitch is more economical (though a bit heavier overall). I believe I'll try that one. Mr. Adventure, I was able to find instruction downloads for Reese, and that's helpful though still leaves a lot to the imagination so I appreciate the real-world information from all of you. I only have one tow vehicle and the TM so that's great to know I only have to do the set-up/adjustment one time (given same load). Looking forward to hooking it all up and hitting the road soon, the TM has just been sitting in the yard since purchase late last fall!

There's a decent video about common WDH questions here if anyone else is looking for additional information:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-weight_distribution_faq.aspx
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

My Reese is also more like Bill's and Mr Adventure's. It does not have hardware at the end of the torsion bars that are closer to the tow vehicle - the ends of the bars just bend up for insertion into holes in the part of the hitch that holds the ball. This seems simpler to me than the ones you linked to and I would not want extra pins to mess around with. I also agree with the other posters that my hitch has both the adjusting hex washers and chains and that any hitch would need, if not these exact gadgets, something to perform their functions of leveling and setting the torsion bars.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
That is a pretty big price differential, and I can't think why....
Both of the hitches are made by Reese. One is branded "Reese" and is priced accordingly. The "Pro" is the bulk marketing version. Don't remember the site where I found this information.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
brulaz

I've got the cheaper one ("Pro" series 800#). It works fine.

With the Elkmont's 620# hitch weight, I'm cinching the 800# spring bars up to their max (5 links, 4 links free). But still no problems with the WDH, over 22,000 mi later.