TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Marathon Sidewall 'Bubble' Failure

Pulled out of Bentsen Palm RV park this morning to head home. Had only made it a couple of miles to the expressway entrance ramp when a couple in a van shot up beside me honking and flashing. Hmmm, didn't think I cut them off...no, they were being nice and told me I had a huge bubble on the inner wall of my curbside tire.

Sure enough, there was a bubble the size of a softball. Pulled over into a handy Tractor Supply parking lot and changed it out. It would have been better if I had noticed it in the campground (if it had actually failed by then) but I am very grateful they noticed it and told us...it is a long stretch of nothing between McAllen and Victoria.

Bought a $90 cheapo tire to hang on the spare rack just for peace of mind. Made it home on the original spare just fine.

The tire that failed was bought in December 2006 and was new then (we have 14" wheels).

Am now planning to read the board carefully and pick a new tire, then will buy three new ones before the next trip.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
Pulled out of Bentsen Palm RV park this morning to head home. Had only made it a couple of miles to the expressway entrance ramp when a couple in a van shot up beside me honking and flashing. Hmmm, didn't think I cut them off...no, they were being nice and told me I had a huge bubble on the inner wall of my curbside tire.

Sure enough, there was a bubble the size of a softball. Pulled over into a handy Tractor Supply parking lot and changed it out. It would have been better if I had noticed it in the campground (if it had actually failed by then) but I am very grateful they noticed it and told us...it is a long stretch of nothing between McAllen and Victoria.

Bought a $90 cheapo tire to hang on the spare rack just for peace of mind. Made it home on the original spare just fine.

The tire that failed was bought in December 2006 and was new then (we have 14" wheels).

Am now planning to read the board carefully and pick a new tire, then will buy three new ones before the next trip.
Glad you got away without having a blow-out. This would be a good time to consider moving to 15" tires & wheels.