TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Hitch Ball Grease

Instructions say grease the hitch ball before use (and in between uses), but I wonder what is the best grease to use for a long trip? Does one grease the ball on each departure and with what is best. I've tried silicone grease but I don't think that it is the best for this purpose. Comments?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I've just used the drippings from greasing the hubs.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You can actually buy hitch ball grease from any trailer or camping supply store. I bought mine a Autozone.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Reese/58117.html?feed=npn

I renew it about every other time that I tow. When the ball starts looking yucky, I wipe off the ball (a little WD40 will help hear) and put a little grease on my finger (with a rubber glove). Just wipe on a thin coat, all around the ball.

I have a small tube and it has lasted for 2-years (and I tow a lot).

Be sure to use a ball cover or you will be buying new pants.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I also use the Reese Teflon Hitch Ball Lube Tube , got it at Lowes.

Tim

Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Since we carry spare bearings and grease I just use the bearing grease wipe the ball down and redo after I've gotten it all over my pants from walking into ball. After 20k miles last year the ball looked fine.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
PopBeavers

To keep the grease off of the pants of passersby I use a tennis ball to cover the tow ball.

Also helps keep it clean when the hitch-bar and tow ball are lying on the floor in my garage.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
TravlinOn

Thanks all for your comments and links. I didn't have the eTrailer link but now I do.

When I looked closely at the Reese Hitch Ball Grease/Lube product, its says it is "white grease". Hmmm, that looks like it might be "white lithium grease" which I used for years on my previously owned sail boat because it is a water, salt, and freeze resistant lubricant - sounds perfect for winter time travel over salted roads, now that I think about it, I might even have some of it put back somewhere.

Also, if this is the same product substance, "white lithium grease" might be cheaper and more readily available than "Reese products" - I haven't checked Lowes but I saw that eTrailer has to add shipping costs onto their sale.

As to adding grease spot camouflage to my pants - been there and done that. I don't have a tennis ball (great idea) but I do use (now) a small can that I crimped a little around the open end to snug it to the ball - not pretty but works.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post

As to adding grease spot camouflage to my pants - been there and done that. I don't have a tennis ball (great idea) but I do use (now) a small can that I crimped a little around the open end to snug it to the ball - not pretty but works.
I'm lazy...I just went to a trailer hitch store in the area and bought a black plastic cover at $ 2.99. It fits perfect and I put it in a plastic case from some other item I bought when hitched to the TV.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I use white lithium grease.....about $3 at Napa for a good sized tub that will last for years.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I'm lazy...I just went to a trailer hitch store in the area and bought a black plastic cover at $ 2.99. It fits perfect and I put it in a plastic case from some other item I bought when hitched to the TV.
Ya....I switched from the tennis ball to one of those too. I was always getting grease on my fingers from the tennis ball. The plastic cover that I got has a tab on it to take it off with. When I pull up on the tab, it also releases the vacuum, making it easy to remove.