TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Beach Boy

Default AC in the Rear

I have noticed that in the older TM's that the AC is set further back towards the bedroom. I did a search on this forum but didn't get a good understanding of the advantages or disadvantages of having a AC further back in the TM.

Since it is difficult to find a TM to look at, I am graceful for this forum. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the placement of the AC near the master bed. What about noise? Too cool? I noticed somewhere that the power cord is hanging down on the bed. Problem?

I noticed in some posts that earlier models mention that the AC was in the rear. Do they mean off of the rear shell or what I described above?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I just pulled up a picture of an older 3023 off of Google and it had that AC right over the rear bed. I can only imagine what that is like, but I don't think i would like it there.

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersi...P1917027_1.jpg

On our 2720, it is located at the rear of the front shell that pretty much centers it in the TM. Since our AC blows air toward both the front and rear at the same time the temperature remain fairly even front to rear.

Tim
Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I would think that running the AC in the rear bunk area would be so noisy that it would be impossible to sleep. It is fairly noisy when the A/C is located in the center of the camper.

The other issue would be, if you want 72* in the living area, it would have to be ~65* in the rear bunk area.

That doesn't seem like the best place to put the A/C. On the other hand, how often do you run the A/C at night?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
mtnguy

There was a transitional time (2001, 2002, I think) when the side mounted AC moved to the top, and it started on the back shell on some models. I think it was late 2002 when it finally ended up in the present location. I had a 2003 with the AC on the front shell. I think someone posted here previously that they ordered a 2002 expecting the AC to be on the rear shell, but pleasantly surprised when it came on the front shell.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
On the other hand, how often do you run the A/C at night?
From my experience living in California years ago: Probably not often

For where I live now and most any area in the South & South-east except for the mountains: Probably every night in the summer (Hot & Humid) months
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Yeah to go camping in the southeast in the summer - it's AC running 24/7.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
Yeah to go camping in the southeast in the summer - it's AC running 24/7.

I have camped all my life. Some of my best early memories involve camping out as a small child with my family. Most of that camping has been on the West coast and in places like Yellowstone or Glacier NP.

About 12 years ago we bought an overhead camper. The next summer I took the DW to see Carlsbad Caverns. That is where I learned what camping out means for folks who don't camp: a. Near the ocean. b. In the mountains. It was miserable. All we had for cooling was a small, maybe 8" electric fan that we put at our feet in the upper bunk with the little window open. Plus we slept on top of the covers.

As we camped around in Texas during the next week or so, it was the same thing. At a place called something like "Schlitterbad" near San Marcos we saw people just standing in the river doing nothing just to escape the humidity.

I should have known this...we used to sleep on my grandad's screen porch in East Texas and listen to the tree frogs sing when I was a little kid

When we returned home the first thing I did was to have a Coleman a/c installed on the roof. Problem solved...but only with hookups.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
PopBeavers

For the last dozen years or so, when someone asks me where I will retire, I tell them any where that has weather equal to or better than where I live now.

Until 2 years ago I had never found such a place. But, I have discovered that the French Rivera has summer weather just as nice as San Jose.