TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
larrylifelines

Default Harbor Freight WDH?

HF sells a WDH, rated for 1000# tongue weight, for $200:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...tem-67649.html

I know most people on this list buy a Reese or other name-brand WDH, and that the conventional wisdom probably holds that a cheap hitch won't perform like a more expensive one. But does anyone have actual experience with HF's WDH? What risk would I be taking by getting this hitch from HF instead of something from etrailer or Reese?

Thanks. Just call me cheapskate.

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylifelines View Post

I know most people on this list buy a Reese or other name-brand WDH, and that the conventional wisdom probably holds that a cheap hitch won't perform like a more expensive one. But does anyone have actual experience with HF's WDH? What risk would I be taking by getting this hitch from HF instead of something from etrailer or Reese?

A couple of issues......
1, 1000# is probably too much for any TrailManor. I know a lot of people use them but they can put unnecessary loading on the TM axle. Your tongue weight is probably ~500#. You may be better off getting a 600# WDH.
2, I would be concerned about the quality of the spring bars. If there is one thing that China does poorly, it's steel. Chinese steel has been a problem for years and that is part of the reason they can produce so cheaply. Spring steel is a technical process that I'm not sure the Chinese take great care at. It appears that some of the stuff that they produce is made to sell. They don't seem to be real concerned that it is made to work, much less last.

3, $200 isn't a real great price. I would far rather buy a used, quality WDH on craigslist than take a chance on that one.

I buy a lot of stuff from HF (probably ($150-$200 per month). I had some good experiences and some bad experiences. I would not buy something from them that has to do with towing safety.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Are you able to visit a Harbor Freight and look at one? The HF listing says that this hitch was built by Haulmaster Trailers, and there is / was a company called Haulmaster in Elkhart, Indiana (RV Capital of the World!) I'm unable to find a current link for them, and manufacturing facility at that address is now occupied by a trailer manufacturer called Team Spirit Trailers. Big manufacturing building, big storage lot outside, a common sight in Elkhart. As you may know, a large number of trailer and RV manufacturers in Elkhart have gone out of business in the past couple years, as the TV market crashed. Perhaps Haulmaster was a victim, and was bought by Team Spirit.

Or as Wayne says, the Haulmaster name may be a cheap Chinese knockoff, which raises the same flag with me that it does with him.

Anyway, if you could look at the packaging, you might find the answer.

One other issue is the length of the springbars, since you have a 2720SL. This board has had a couple threads lately about the importance of springbar length when you are installing on a 2720SL. I think the conclusion is that the overall length needs to be about 32 inches. A length of 30 inches (apparently another common size) may not work.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Are you able to visit a Harbor Freight and look at one? The HF listing says that this hitch was built by Haulmaster Trailers, and there is / was a company called Haulmaster in Elkhart, Indiana (RV Capital of the World!) I'm unable to find a current link for them, and manufacturing facility at that address is now occupied by a trailer manufacturer called Team Spirit Trailers. Big manufacturing building, big storage lot outside, a common sight in Elkhart. As you may know, a large number of trailer and RV manufacturers in Elkhart have gone out of business in the past couple years, as the TV market crashed. Perhaps Haulmaster was a victim, and was bought by Team Spirit.

Or as Wayne says, the Haulmaster name may be a cheap Chinese knockoff, which raises the same flag with me that it does with him.

Bill
Maybe these pics might help clear that up.

The jacks that I bought from HF were "Haul-Master". I'm not too concerned about them handling the job however because they are not a safety issue and they will never see over 25% of their rated capacity, less then 10% on most occasions.

Funny thing is........even if it didn't say "Made in China", the cardboard was a dead giveaway. What is it with Chinese cardboard? It's all the same too.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03896.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	5405   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03897.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	5406  
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
larrylifelines

I agree with what you guys have said. I was just hoping someone on this board might have actually installed the HF/Haulmaster WDH. Lacking firsthand recommendation, I'll avoid it. I guess I don't want to wonder, every mile I travel, whether the steel in my hitch is strong enough.

Will check Craigslist, and bite the etrailer bullet if necessary.

Ken

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I agree with what you guys have said. I was just hoping someone on this board might have actually installed the HF/Haulmaster WDH. Lacking firsthand recommendation, I'll avoid it. I guess I don't want to wonder, every mile I travel, whether the steel in my hitch is strong enough.

Will check Craigslist, and bite the etrailer bullet if necessary.

Ken
The problem with stuff from HF is that the quality of most of that stuff is not consistent on the same product. I have purchased several items that I've had to return several times before I got a good one (air compressor comes to mind). Once you get one that works, it seems to do pretty well.

What I'm trying to say is, just because one person has had (what they perceive to be) a great experience with that WDH doesn't necessarily mean that you will enjoy the same experience. It's more of a consistency issue.

BTW......do a little homework on the rating that you want before buying. IMHO, a 1,000 WDH may not be your best choice.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:

I've never seen one up close, but it looks like there might be less steel in the mounting points for the hitch bars than there is in the Reese hitches, and the distance from top to the bottom of the sleeve that holds the hitch bars is less (in other words the mounting point for the bars is possibly weaker, while the bar is able to put more leverage on it than with a similar Reese hitch). There's no way to tell without loading it up to see where it fails, of course, and I doubt anybody's done that.

Reese:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49570.html

There's also a certain advantage in following a proven path: People use all kinds of Reese hitches and no one complains about them (how they work, how they adjust, etc). This one is an unknown. For example, it looks like it has some kind of spring release for the bar, and I'm not sure I'd like that

Some things I like about my Reese hitch are:
- There's lots of adjustment flexibility
- The whole shank/ball/head assembly weighs 35#
- It's relatively compact on the shelf in the Garage, compared to some.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, that certainly answers THAT question! I'm not sure I would trust Chinese steel either.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
brulaz

Are you folks sure that the cheaper Reese and other Brand Name hitches are not made in China? My Draw-Tite Pro Series hitch has Made in China all over it.

The shank on that Reese Hitch looks identical to mine with the Made in China label.

And after 12,000 miles, the Draw-Tite hitch is still working fine (you gotta grease it though).
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
rumbleweed

Although some brand name quality products are "made in China" it is usually to US specifications and with US quality control to uphold the manufacturer's reputation. Most HF stuff is off brand or clones. I have a bunch of HF stuff, but it is only used when I can tolerate failure with only minor inconvenience. I would never use a HF item is a situation that I had to depend on for a living or my safety.