TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Default Actual Weight with WDH

On our way back from South Dakota, we stopped at a CAT Scale and weighed the rig.

Actual:
Front = 2420

Drive = 3200

Trailer = 3460

Gross = 9080

Ratings:
Front = 2865 GAWR F

Drive = 3155 GAWR R

Trailer = 4190 GVWR 3640 GAWR

GVWR = 5950

The good news is the trailer was full of fresh water, close to full on gray with a cooler full of frozen pheasants, winter clothes and will never have more weight at any time in the future.

We had to keep fresh water due to the cold weather (parks were not opening hydrants). I would not normally travel with gray but the valves were stuck. I have since learned how to remedy that situation.

The "drive" axle had three dogs (140#), tools, an extra hitch and a full propane tank. I can easily move more than 45# of weight to the trailer and by traveling without so much water (approx 450#) in the tanks we will be under the weight ratings. I will never have to travel with an extra propane tank again, another lesson learned.

Having these weights allows me to feel more at ease knowing how to distribute cargo in the future.

The WDH made a huge difference. Thanks for all the helpful information.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default looks good

Good to have another set of numbers to compare with thanks for taking the time

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
On our way back from South Dakota, we stopped at a CAT Scale and weighed the rig.

Actual:
Front = 2420

Drive = 3200

Trailer = 3460

Gross = 9080

Ratings:
Front = 2865 GAWR F

Drive = 3155 GAWR R

Trailer = 3500

GVWR = 5950

The good news is the trailer was full of fresh water, close to full on gray with a cooler full of frozen pheasants, winter clothes and will never have more weight at any time in the future.

We had to keep fresh water due to the cold weather (parks were not opening hydrants). I would not normally travel with gray but the valves were stuck. I have since learned how to remedy that situation.

The "drive" axle had three dogs (140#), tools, an extra hitch and a full propane tank. I can easily move more than 45# of weight to the trailer and by traveling without so much water (approx 450#) in the tanks we will be under the weight ratings. I will never have to travel with an extra propane tank again, another lesson learned.

Having these weights allows me to feel more at ease knowing how to distribute cargo in the future.

You may want to consider tightening up that WDH a little. You are running pretty light on the front axle.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Default WDH adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
You may want to consider tightening up that WDH a little. You are running pretty light on the front axle.
I would like to but the swing away does not allow it to go any tighter, also I am supposed to leave at least five (5) links free.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Do you have an angle adjustment on your hitch? I had to adjust the tilt on mine to get the proper spring bar setting.

Tim
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Do you have an angle adjustment on your hitch? I had to adjust the tilt on mine to get the proper spring bar setting.

This is the type of hitch I purchased:

http://www.hitchsource.com/trunnion-...b-p-16109.html

It is able to adjust both height and angle, I am guessing I should add more angle.

I followed the installation instructions, I am not against modifying the installation just want to make sure I am doing the correct modifications.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Honda Pilot

Quote:

Actual:
Front = 2420

Drive = 3200

Trailer = 3460

Gross = 9080

Ratings:
Front = 2865 GAWR F

Drive = 3155 GAWR R

Trailer = 3500

GVWR = 5950

Thanks for posting your numbers. Another link tighter on the WDH would give you less in the rear and a better ride too (you can change the angle to get more purchase on the bars). But it looks very possible to be on the road still under your axle ratings and GVWR despite your heavily loaded trailer. This is all great news!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

The height and tilt adjustments do affect each other. Tilting back will also lower the ball height some, so i had to play with both settings till i got the adjustment right for mine.

I have not weighed mine yet but i did mark and measure the amount of loading drop i am getting on the TV. Front and rear loading drop is within .25in when spring bars are locked.

Tim
Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:

It is able to adjust both height and angle, I am guessing I should add more angle.
Yes, the angle is adjustable. You'll need a whopper of a wrench to turn those big silver nuts, but if you did your own install (good for you!), you already have one.

As you can see from the pictures, if you tilt the ballmount back just a little bit, it will lower the springbar tips (before hooking up the chains). If you then use the same number of links as before, it will leave the spacing between the TM frame and the springbar tips unchanged, but at the same time a tighter adjustment (more weight distribution).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:

I followed the installation instructions, I am not against modifying the installation just want to make sure I am doing the correct modifications.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

From looking at the hitch pictures yours looks identical to mine but I can't use it as the spring bars are to short. I would be curious as to your spring length both total and from the center line of the trunnion to the center line of the u-bolt that has the chain. A few of the other members have 32" bars while mine are 30" total length

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capacity, scales, wdh, weights