TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Mccooleys

I hated the cables also. I changed them out for chains. The cables were too long. I tried wrapping them around the tongue to shorten them and they just got in the way. There was no way that I could figure out how to keep the TM tongue off the ground if it came off the ball while using them. The chains are so much easier and most likely won't come undone using the quick links.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #12
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have cables. I hate 'em. Several reasons.

First, the cables are covered in plastic. This means you can't see the cable, and you can't see any cut strands or debilitating rust. "Trust me", they say. "Under this good looking cover, I am still plenty strong."

Second, as you noted, LiveTicker, you are expected to set the length so they will support the trailer tongue off the ground if the hitch fails. But the length of the cables is not adjustable. Now what?

Third, I find that the springy-coiled shape is hard to maneuver - they are forever getting caught up in something. Like the springbar stubs. Which pinches, and eventually cuts, the strands of the cables.

In addition to the cables on my TM, I have a brand new unused set of cables sitting on the shelf. And the hooks even have safety clips, so they can't fall off. Anyone want to trade a pair of chains for my set of new cables? PM me.
Bill
My TM has the coiled safety cables with the hooks that have safety clips to keep them from bouncing out of the holes in the side of the receiver hitch. Sounds like what Bill described.

On my receiver there are two flat angled pieces of steel with odd shaped holes in them to receive the hooks on the cables. It is really a struggle to get the hooks through the holes and the clip closed. Then it is just as much trouble to get them off.

So...I went to Ace Hardware and got myself a couple of BIG shackles, or as Liveticker calls them, screw links. They are now swinging from those holes in the receiver hitch, and the hooks clip right on, and right off.

Now the DW does not have to listen to me gripe and moan while having to struggle with the hooks.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
PopBeavers

I would prefer to attach the safety cables/chains to the frame, because that way if the entire hitch assembly on the truck failed, the trailer would remain attached. Same situation for the brake cable.

But I am too lazy to look into it.

I have heard various stories that the smaller Chevy Silverado's for some years had a habit of doing this.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTicker View Post

EasternMarine says the chains should be crossed and under the coupler. This is new to me. I guess I missed that in the manuals.
I have coiled cables (not chains) like this: http://www.easternmarine.com/Class-I...-Cables-59541/
Other TM owners - is this the correct hookup?
Quote from http://www.easternmarine.com/Safety-...-Cables-Hooks/ :
"For towing safety, remember to connect safety chains properly every time you tow. Cross chains under the coupler then attach securely to the tow vehicle so they can't bounce loose. Leave only enough slack to permit full turning. Too much slack may prevent chains from maintaining control if other connections separate. Don't let the chains drag on the road."
In most states, if not all, it is the law to have the safety chains crossed under the tongue

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote