TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
2619w?swingaway

Default Tires

I just bought an '04--2619. The tire size on the unit is st215 75 14. I have gone to tirerack.com and they only list 1 tire in this size. This is a load range 'c'. Is this my only option?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2619w?swingaway View Post
I just bought an '04--2619. The tire size on the unit is st215 75 14. I have gone to tirerack.com and they only list 1 tire in this size. This is a load range 'c'. Is this my only option?
Funny day to bring this up.

I just installed a set of 225/75/R15 (Load Range "D") Maxxis on my '04 2720SL today (rated at 2540# each). The 14" load range "C" are only rated at somewhere around 1650# each.

In order to accomplish this, I had to put a "lift kit" (available from TrailManor) between the trailer axle and frame. I did the same job on my '98 2720 and it was a lot easier (or maybe I was a lot younger). Somewhere between '98 and '04 TM did away with the "L" bracket on the frame and started bolting the axle directly to the frame then welding it on both ends........that's a tail for another post.

At any rate, a lot of us have switched to 15" load range D tires because of the number of tire failures with the 14". TM now puts 15" tires at production so obviously they have recognized the issue and is making an effort to resolve it. I personally think these trailers should have axles rated to 5K#.

There should be a dealer in your area that will order whatever tires that you want. If you decide to stay with the 14" tires, I would recommend load range "D" or even "E" (if you can find them).
Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Goodyear Travels

I have the exact same setup on our 2720sl -- 15 inch wheels, lift kit, and Maxxis tires. Couldn't be happier.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyear Travels View Post
I have the exact same setup on our 2720sl -- 15 inch wheels, lift kit, and Maxxis tires. Couldn't be happier.
Did you install the lift kit yourself?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
ib4classics

Our new Keystone Passport 285 RL came with TOWMAX ST205 75R 14 load range C, 4 tires.
I checked the DOT #'s and they were made this year in CHINA.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
Our new Keystone Passport 285 RL came with TOWMAX ST205 75R 14 load range D, 4 tires.
That is great news. All the literature TBC (the maker of Tow Max) has sent us, just has the 6 ply (Load Range C) 14 inch tire stuff.

The next time their salesman calls on us, I will try to get an article number and price on this Load Range D tire, since it's not in any of our catalogs.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Goodyear Travels

Wayne,

Re. the installation of the lift kit -- Trailmanor provided the lift kit and paid a welder here in Goodyear to install it. Why did they pick up the tab? Well, I discovered that the trailer did not have the axle manufacturer's -- recommended clearance between the 14 inch tires and the fender wells.
I caught the problem before the tires ever damaged the wheel wells.

I measured and photographed the minimal clearance with "no load" -- and suggested to Trailmanor that -- when fully loaded -- I could easily tear out the fender wells with typical road bumps.

They agreed and sent me a kit and said "get it fixed and submit the bill to us". I found a very competent welder who bolted and welded the box steel spacer in place. There was no fuss and no hassle.

I, then, had sufficent clearance (but not by much as I recall) for the larger wheels and tires. I inflate to about 59.5 lbs (instead of the 65 lbs) and the trailer runs like a champ.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyear Travels View Post
Wayne,

Re. the installation of the lift kit -- Trailmanor provided the lift kit and paid a welder here in Goodyear to install it. Why did they pick up the tab? Well, I discovered that the trailer did not have the axle manufacturer's -- recommended clearance between the 14 inch tires and the fender wells.
I caught the problem before the tires ever damaged the wheel wells.

I measured and photographed the minimal clearance with "no load" -- and suggested to Trailmanor that -- when fully loaded -- I could easily tear out the fender wells with typical road bumps.

They agreed and sent me a kit and said "get it fixed and submit the bill to us". I found a very competent welder who bolted and welded the box steel spacer in place. There was no fuss and no hassle.

I, then, had sufficent clearance (but not by much as I recall) for the larger wheels and tires. I inflate to about 59.5 lbs (instead of the 65 lbs) and the trailer runs like a champ.
Evidently TM recognized this issue and now installs the lift on all of their trailers (at least, someone reported that on this forum).

I installed a 2.5" set that I made yesterday. It's not nearly as easy at home as it is in a shop with a lift. None-the-less, it wasn't a BIG deal.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
PopBeavers

The next time I buy tires, I will be looking for 14 inch load range D ST tires.

I am not optimistic about be successful.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
ib4classics

I just re-checked my Towmax tires, (with a magnifying glass, they are load range C not D.
Sorry for the error, old eyes.
Rated at 1760 lbs @ 50 psi each.