TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
Just to add to the chorus, I store mine in the garage with at least the forward two jacks down if only to take the tongue weight so that I can swing the hitch. I am probably 50/50 on whether the rear jacks are down. My TM typically gets used every 2-3 weeks between April and September and then sparingly during the winter months. However, it still gets moved in and out of the garage during the winter months so that I can play with, er work on, it.

As for damaging the stabilizer jacks by using them, I am a bit skeptical. Damage from snow loading seems like it would affect other things before the stabilizer jacks became the weak spot. If wind loading is the concern, isn't the whole rig at risk of damage? If your jacks are installed like mine, replacing a damaged one is probably the easiest repair one could have to do to the TM. But wouldn't conditions which would "damage" a stabilizer jack cause issues with jack stands as well? If the wind is strong enough to bend a stabilizer jack, wouldn't it be enough to dislodge the TM from the top of a jack stand too?
A heavy snow load and buffeting winds would be a concern TO ME.... I like to sleep at night and not have to be concerned about stuff like that. I personally would consider "Worse case scenario" if I were to store the trailer for several months in an area that were prone to severe weather. (I guess it's the sailor in me).

My concern about the TM levelers is the attachment to the TM and the design. It has a 2-point, contact (upper and lower) that is relatively small. Jack-stands are designed to distribute the weight and side-to side motion better with a broader contact to the ground (like a pyramid). Just try walking around in your TM as it is totally supported on the stabilizers, then walk around inside while it is supported on jack stands.......it's a huge difference, I've done it. The trailer is really squirmy when it is supported only by the TM levelers. It is extremely solid on jack-stands.

I would also leave the stabilizers down in the extreme (highly unlikely) event that the trailer be knocked off the jack-stands.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
One nice thing about having the wheels off the ground is that you could go out and spin the wheels once a week. That may help keep the bearings from pitting and the tires in better shape..
Real good idea.

As for the scissor jacks, they are a bit wobbly ..., but then so are my jack stands (must be different from Wayne's). To make things really solid, I'd need a crib stand built of railroad ties or something. That won't happen ...
Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you were to use the stabilizer jacks, you could simply chock the wheels to prevent movement. That's what you do while camping, so if it's stable enough to sleep in, it's surely stable enough to store. Even if the wheels were off the ground an inch, I would think chocking would still be highly effective. That seems much easier than jack stands to me.....

Then again, I also took the extra effort to make the Super Chocks, so different folks, different strokes!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote