TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
roned2

Default Winter storage and stabilzer jacks

We are storing our 3124 outside with a cover during our usually harsh winter in Ontario. Would using the stabilzer jacks help take some weight off the tires? Is there any reason to use or not use the jacks? How many people store with the jacks down?
Prodigy Brake Controller
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

It certainly wouldn't hurt, and can only help by taking some weight off the wheels. That theoretically should help preserve your wheel bearings as well as your tires.

I store mine with the jacks up, but we camp about once every month or two, year round, so I don't think we'd derive any real benefit. If I were to store it for 6 months, I would definitely deploy the jacks and remove nearly all of the weight from the wheels.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
greentrail

I know you can use the corner jacks for use to change a flat tire but I'm wondering if supporting the camper over a prolonged period of time would stress the frame? Maybe an alternative solution would be to stabilize with the corner jacks but do the lifting at the part of the frame where the axle is? Just a thought since the frame is designed to carry the load over the axle..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Scott O

I store ours in the garage with the jacks extended so the wheels are completely off the ground. There seems to be no issue doing this, but in your case snow might add unwanted weight. Some load math might be in order.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Debbie in Texas

We never did it that way but noticed where we store ours that everybody else does it so it must be good. We have to be concerned with the extreme heat in the summer and dry rot.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I asked the factory about this when I first purchased, and was told that there is no good way to stress the frame using the corner jacks. In other words, no problem using them for this type of thing.

That being said, I didn't bother last year, but will likely try to do something this year in storage. I do have some jack stands to try in the corners, only because reaching the curb side jacks will be nearly impossible once I have the TM parked in my garage. We'll see how it works out...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
roned2

Thanks for all the replies. I will be storing this winter with the stabilizers down.
Prodigy Brake Controller
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roned2 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I will be storing this winter with the stabilizers down.
I think that I would buy 4-jack stands, if I were going to do this. The bigger risk in using the trailers levelers is that they might get damaged. A heavy layer of snow or buffeting winds could be a risk if the entire weight of the trailer is on the levelers. Not worth the risk, in my mind.

One nice thing about having the wheels off the ground is that you could go out and spin the wheels once a week. That may help keep the bearings from pitting and the tires in better shape..
Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Aren't those jacks rated for several thousand pounds a piece? Even if they were only rated for 3,000 lbs, that's a total rating of 12,000 lbs. Where is the risk of damage?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
M&M Hokie

Just to add to the chorus, I store mine in the garage with at least the forward two jacks down if only to take the tongue weight so that I can swing the hitch. I am probably 50/50 on whether the rear jacks are down. My TM typically gets used every 2-3 weeks between April and September and then sparingly during the winter months. However, it still gets moved in and out of the garage during the winter months so that I can play with, er work on, it.

As for damaging the stabilizer jacks by using them, I am a bit skeptical. Damage from snow loading seems like it would affect other things before the stabilizer jacks became the weak spot. If wind loading is the concern, isn't the whole rig at risk of damage? If your jacks are installed like mine, replacing a damaged one is probably the easiest repair one could have to do to the TM. But wouldn't conditions which would "damage" a stabilizer jack cause issues with jack stands as well? If the wind is strong enough to bend a stabilizer jack, wouldn't it be enough to dislodge the TM from the top of a jack stand too?