TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
jbowen

Default Keeping cool under the awning

We have been using our TrailManor about everyother weekend for short 3 day get aways. Each time we take it out we find new things we want to do to make it more comfortable. Lately it has been very warm here in California.(okay, I admit that anything over 65* is warm to me). (I will also admit that you can hang a side of beef in our house and it will remain frozen until taken outside and barbecued). Because of the heat and the drought it is very dusty where we camp. To solve the heat and dust problem we connected misters to a hose and attached them to the center support of the awning with zip ties. The mist was very fine and very refreshing without creating a mud ball. When we were packing up to come home we cut the zip ties and stowed the misters and hose until next time.
Rozz
Old 08-01-2003, 05:30 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Keeping cool under the awning

Never thought of that, do you unhook the TM water or use a "Y" ? If "Y", don't the campground folks say something, your using a lot of their water.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

;D ;DCOOL :

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
jbowen

We do use a "Y". The misters actually use very little water (extremely fine spray). The powers that be come down to cool off and be refreshed so I guess they aren't real concerned about the water being used. It helps that we have been going there for 15 years, know everybody in the area and feed all of them when we are there. We did ask before we started the mister project. I think everyone is still so intrigued with the TM that they figured that the misters were just another added feature.
Rozz
Old 08-01-2003, 11:03 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Very nice. I use a mister on my patio but never thought of rigging one for the TM. Do you use any support for the hose or did you use PVC down to the ground? If PVC how do you take it apart and put it back together?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
bbeckham

What kind of mister are you all talking about? We live in the humid SE but like to travel to the SW where it is any thing but humid. A little more info would be appreciated.

Betty Ann
Old 08-02-2003, 07:19 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In a misting system, water is sprayed out of a series of tiny nozzles, forming a kind of foggy mist. If the air is very dry, the water immediately evaporates, and it is a scientific fact that evaporation carries away heat. As a result, the temperature of the misted air drops. It is a very pleasant cooling sensation, and doesn't feel at all wet. And it doesn't require the large amount of electricity that an air conditioner uses.

Misting systems are common in hot dry places like Phoenix. They are found outside homes, where they cool the air in the back yard under a porch roof. Restaurants mist their outside patio eating areas. The atrium area in many malls is misted. Misting systems are cheap, easy to install, and widely available. In desert areas, you can buy them at any Home Depot or Lowe's, for example. To see some, go to http://www.homedepot.com, and type "Misting systems" into the search box.

Since they depend on near-instant evaporation, they work only in areas of very low humidity, and don't work at all in humid areas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #8
jbowen

Windbreaker, no pvc involved. the zip ties attach the hose to the center of the awning. We use another
"Y" at the end of the hose and attach 2 misters pointed in opposite directions. The misters were purchased at Ace hardware. We bought two 10' lengths of hose, two "Y" connectors and 4 misters. Total cost for the project was under $15.00. Pretty cheap to keep cool.
Jim and Rozz