TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Mrs_aminalguy

Default Moving to Alaska

Hi all! I just learned yesterday that TrailManors existed, so bear with me as I'm just learning about them. We will be moving to Alaska in about a year and would like to purchase some sort of travel/camping trailer to haul up there from Illinois when we make the drive and use it during our time in Alaska, including in fairly chilly (not REALLY cold) weather. I wondered if any owners out there have any experience with driving the Alaska Highway with a TM and/or camping with one in cold weather. How well do they do/hold up to those conditions?

I've done a little searching around here but not found a lot of feedback on this scenario. I also have a lot on my plate around here (2-year-old, baby due in a month, and a house to sell!) so I don't really have the time to spend hours scouring the forums.

I might come back with a few more questions later but for now I have to go tend to some housework. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

check out this thread for cold weather camping.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...highlight=utah

The Alaska highway was no big deal last year for us. expect a lot of construction and when you see a diver down flag, red with a white diagonal bar, ahead of you at the edge of the road slow way down real quick. Sometimes it is an orange flag or a traffic cone. All means the same really bad section of road.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Mrs_aminalguy

We did drive the Alaska Highway in a 2WD sedan at the end of February, so we're somewhat familiar with that as far as driving conditions, though we've heard it's a bit smoother that time of year because ice and snow are filling in potholes. Because I know what the condition of the road is like, my husband and I are wondering how well the TrailManors hold up to the abuse of that rough a road.

I will check out that thread on cold weather camping. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Beach Boy

Where in Alaska are you moving? A couple of hundred miles can make a big difference.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Mrs_aminalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Where in Alaska are you moving? A couple of hundred miles can make a big difference.
Fairbanks. We'll live there for about 2 years, hopefully using the trailer pretty heavily while we live there, then we'll be making the drive with the trailer again to wherever we get stationed next. We'd like something that will last us long-term with a lot of moves with the military.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
retiredgoat

Mrs_aminalguy,

Congrats on the new orders and adventure ahead of you and your family. The TM has a low point drain system for cold and hot water (a must after sundown in coooold weather) but the outside shower also needs to be opened to drain along with inside sprayer in kitchen sink (sink sprayer only if leaving empty). All tanks outside are subject to weather so empty or heat strip them - which is the gray water only on the TM.

Good Luck and Happy hunting.

Bob
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
SCBillandJane

We traveled there in 2008 from SC. We had no issues other than the rubbing of the front and back against each other because the alighnment was not correct on our used Trailmanor. We then went to Key West, FL, San Diego CA, and Maine to get the corners of the US. We have recently been on a little trip to Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia. After well over 40,000 miles on a used Trailmanor we still use it without reservation. Will it get blemishes on the Alaska Highway? Very possibly. Most cars and RV's do. However, our Trailmanor has never had anything wrong that kept us from camping comfortably. Good Luck with your move.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote