TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Suspension Air Bags

When I would haul my ATV in the bed of the pickup, then attach the TM, it was way too much weight for the WDH and I couldn't level the rig. So I bought some of the Firestone Aig Bags for the rear suspension. They work great. I am now able to level the truck easily. So, what I am wondering is when i tow JUST the TM, why can't I use just the bags to level the truck and no WDH? Has anyone tried this? Seems like it accomplishes the same thing.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
When I would haul my ATV in the bed of the pickup, then attach the TM, it was way too much weight for the WDH and I couldn't level the rig. So I bought some of the Firestone Aig Bags for the rear suspension. They work great. I am now able to level the truck easily. So, what I am wondering is when i tow JUST the TM, why can't I use just the bags to level the truck and no WDH? Has anyone tried this? Seems like it accomplishes the same thing.
That is exactly what I do.

Just be aware that you probably don't have the long WB that I have (157"). You may suffer some loss of brake & steering control when heavy braking.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
MisterP

Without getting into specifics of any vehicle, remember that the hitch assembly of your vehicle has its own capacity which may be less than that of the tow vehicle itself. A WDH will increase that effective capacity. My Ford hitch has tow ratings with and without a WDH. Getting a vehicle level is not the only thing you are trying to accomplish with any towing system. Airbags do not distribute the towing loads.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... why can't I use just the bags to level the truck and no WDH? Seems like it accomplishes the same thing.
RedHawk -

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of a WDH. The purpose of a Weight Distributing Hitch is distribute weight, to get weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle. Hence the name. The purpose of a WDH is not to level the vehicle - that is just a by-product of its operation, and a good one.

If your vehicle has a rear axle weight rating that can take all the weight going onto it, then you are halfway home. What is your Tundra rated for?

If your tow vehicle has a long wheelbase, and steers and brakes well in emergency situations, even with a lot of weight removed from front wheels, then perhaps you are all the way home. What is the wheelbase on your Tundra? How much weight comes off the front wheels when you hook up the TM?

The TM Technical Reference Library has two tutorials about WDHs. The second goes into all this in more detail.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Harry Womack

Default Firestone air bags

I only use air bags when towing the TM. I never needed anything until I got the 2007 Suburban. The new Suburbans have soft springs.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Redhawk

Good comments that give me some thought. If it was a different vehicle with a lower tow rating and axel load ratings, I don't think that going without a WDH would be optional. But being a truck, it seems to do fine. There may be some negatives, but sure seems to be some positives too, mainly taking some load off of the TM axel that the WDH puts on there. I will definitly use the WDH when I have the ATV in the truck bed or going cross country, but when camping in the state, I probably won't use it.

I had it out today with just the bags and no WDH. I like the feel and was surprised how well it did. Thanks all.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
myersm

I put air bags and an on-board compressor in my Avalanche just a couple month's back... the weight of a loaded TM with a full water tank pulled the real end down, and pointed my headlights higher. The airbags works great in leveling out the TV, it tows great. My Avalanche has a factory towing package installed.
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
I put air bags and an on-board compressor in my Avalanche just a couple month's back... the weight of a loaded TM with a full water tank pulled the real end down, and pointed my headlights higher. The airbags works great in leveling out the TV, it tows great. My Avalanche has a factory towing package installed.
The Avalanche is a good example of a TV with a fairly high tow rating but a fairly short 130" WB and the tow hitch is located well behind the rear axle.

With a 400# tongue weight, the front wheels are unloaded 150+# (decreasing friction for braking & steering control) and the rear wheels are loaded an extra 600# (increasing friction & braking). This is the very condition that WDH are designed for.

The WDH will put that 150# back on the front wheels and reduce the load on the rear wheels by making the hitch (instead of the rear axle) the fulcrum point.

When towing w/o a WDH, you may find yourself is a serious disadvantage when heavy braking, especially on wet roads. At some point, your front wheels will slide (even with ABS). You will know when this situation presents itself because you will have to pull over and change your underwear.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
myersm

So... you are saying I should get a WDH or carry extra underwear!
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
so... You are saying i should get a wdh or carry extra underwear!
riiiiiiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!