TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Pierak706

Question Off road/rough road handling

We have not used my new TM yet (2720SL).
I have been reading the forum, and from some of the posts, it seems that the TM has problems on rough roads. The problems I have read about are:
1. Stuff working itself loose (tables, ovens, etc.)
2. Uncomfortable ride in the TV
3. Dust all over

I'm not really concerned with #3, I'm willing to clean the dust off.
But I would like to avoid #1 and 2.
We went on a 4 month trip to Alaska (from Georgia) with an Aliner in 2008, on some pretty rough roads, and we had a couple of things getting loose, but no problem with the TV ride. We would like to repeat the experience at some point in the future, so rough road handling is going to be important.
I would love to hear what strategies you have used to improve these problems; also, since next year we will probably buy a new TV, what would be the best choice?
I feel I'm taking advantage of everybody's expertise right now, I promise I will try to contribute something useful as soon as we actually go camping in the TM!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierak706 View Post
We have not used my new TM yet (2720SL).
I have been reading the forum, and from some of the posts, it seems that the TM has problems on rough roads. The problems I have read about are:
1. Stuff working itself loose (tables, ovens, etc.)
2. Uncomfortable ride in the TV
3. Dust all over

I'm not really concerned with #3, I'm willing to clean the dust off.
But I would like to avoid #1 and 2.
We went on a 4 month trip to Alaska (from Georgia) with an Aliner in 2008, on some pretty rough roads, and we had a couple of things getting loose, but no problem with the TV ride. We would like to repeat the experience at some point in the future, so rough road handling is going to be important.
I would love to hear what strategies you have used to improve these problems; also, since next year we will probably buy a new TV, what would be the best choice?
I feel I'm taking advantage of everybody's expertise right now, I promise I will try to contribute something useful as soon as we actually go camping in the TM!
I haven't towed the TM on rough roads yet but I do intend to (Alaska is planned). However, I have towed TTs on rough roads and it takes a lot of preparation or stuff is all over the place. I think that stove tops and unsecured tables are an issue on any trailer.

I think if I were going to tow on rough roads, I might consider using a strap around the center of the trailer (the aft part of the front roof) and maybe even both ends. This would take a lot of stress off of the latches and may even reduce dust intrusion.

One thing is for sure, I would upgrade to larger tires. Rough roads = higher stress on the tires.

As for a TV.......there are so many things to consider. We currently use a 1/2 ton, full size pick-up but it is a dedicated vehicle for the TM. We don't use it around town (unless I have to go pick up something big). I like the long wheel base and I think it would do well on rough roads. I'm not consumed about the MPG of the vehicle. Sometimes, some can be penny wise and pound foolish with the fuel economy concerns. However, if the vehicle were my main driver, I may take a more conservative approach myself. That's really a tough one..

TV consideration is such a personal choice thing. It seems that most prefer an SUV and I can see the reasoning for some. I just like having the passenger compartment separated from the cargo area. That's just a personal thing though. The fact is, the full size SUVs are just a pick-up truck with a shell and no division between the front and back. I can see where, for some, that's a bonus.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
brulaz

I suspect that how you have your WDH set up could affect rough road handling. I know a properly set up WDH helps on paved roads by taking excessive weight off the TV's rear springs and putting more on the front axle (and the trailer). It might reduce bouncing on rough roads as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Scott O

I don't remember much discussion regarding using an Elkmont off-road as it is a different beast from the TM. TM's are prone to dust as they can't be closed up as can the Elkmont. But construction issues are the same with both. There is some sacrifice in construction methods due to the need to keep the trailer light. To me, that means quite a bit less durability. There have been reports on this forum or TMs getting pretty well beaten up by going off road. Others have been successful. A search would probably lead you to those threads. I won't take mine off road, but I am pretty cautious with it. I would suppose that off-road would probably not be too much of a problem if the road was good and caution was exercised. Keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Pierak706

Harveyrv, thanks for your suggestion about the strap. I think that would be very useful. We actually live on a rather rough dirt mountain road. Luckily, it is short.
Do you mean larger tires on the TM? We have 15 inch tires (came with it).
Also, you also mention the wheelbase. Excuse my ignorance, can you explain how it affects handling? Right now, with the Sprinter, I do not think the wheelbase is an issue, but we certainly want to look at everything when we buy our next TV.
I have read that the Alaskan Highway is much improved from the past, still, you do not need to go off road to get some pretty rough patches...more like a constellation of potholes and frost heaves. Also, there are quite a few beautiful places that can only be reached on unpaved roads. But it was worth every minute of it! I hope you will go soon, it is the trip of a lifetime.
Brulaz, we do not have a WDH. Does it make a lot of difference? I have read conflicting reports about it, here and in other forums. Some say it adds unnecessary weight, which for us is a concern at this point. Could you give more of your take on it?
It will be probably a year before we go to any off road destinations, but I will let you know then how it goes.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierak706 View Post
Harveyrv, thanks for your suggestion about the strap. I think that would be very useful. We actually live on a rather rough dirt mountain road. Luckily, it is short.
Do you mean larger tires on the TM? We have 15 inch tires (came with it).
Also, you also mention the wheelbase. Excuse my ignorance, can you explain how it affects handling? Right now, with the Sprinter, I do not think the wheelbase is an issue, but we certainly want to look at everything when we buy our next TV.
I have read that the Alaskan Highway is much improved from the past, still, you do not need to go off road to get some pretty rough patches...more like a constellation of potholes and frost heaves. Also, there are quite a few beautiful places that can only be reached on unpaved roads. But it was worth every minute of it! I hope you will go soon, it is the trip of a lifetime.
Brulaz, we do not have a WDH. Does it make a lot of difference? I have read conflicting reports about it, here and in other forums. Some say it adds unnecessary weight, which for us is a concern at this point. Could you give more of your take on it?

It will be probably a year before we go to any off road destinations, but I will let you know then how it goes.
I started out towing with a Chevy 1500HD 6.5 foot bed. I now tow with a GMC 2500HD with an 8 foot bed.

I can notice the difference when towing. Primarily it porpoises less.

Regarding off road, I just posted to another thread on that topic. I will not repeat it here and I am too lazy to provide a link to it. It should not be hard to find.

I as replying to a question and I believe that you where the person asking the question.

I do not use a WD hitch.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
brulaz

About the WDH ... it depends! And as for your combo of Sprinter + ?, I have no idea whether a WDH is necessary. With our combo of Tacoma and Elkmont it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise the 620# tongue weight seriously overloads the rear axle, and lifts the front making the steering very squirrely. With the WDH adjusted so that the front doesn't lift, the combo has a very stable, solid, planted feel to it. And the axle weight ratings are not exceeded.

I 've driven on some pretty horrible paved highways riddled with potholes, and the WDH seems to reduce the bouncing. On the other hand, many northern and rural roads are well-maintained and high speed even though they are gravel. Flying rocks can be more of a problem than ruts and potholes.

Friends who've driven to the Yukon and NWT say pretty much to plan on a new windshield and a chipped grill. This is from trucks flying by in the opposite direction. The front face of an upright Elkmont is more exposed than the regular ones so will have more trouble there. Our friend's solution was just to pull off the road or as far over as possible whenever a truck appeared coming at them.

The other problem of course are the rocks thrown up by your own vehicle and what it does to the underside or front of your trailer. I've sand-blasted all the paint off the frame of our utility trailer traveling at highway speeds across the prairie on a straight gravel road. I wonder what that would have done to any plumbing hanging below decks?

As Scott says, there have been threads about this, and I remember some that deal with protecting your trailer from rocks in particular. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post

I wonder what that would have done to any plumbing hanging below decks?
Several people have built a metal protector for the plumbing on their folding TMs. It is likely possible to do the same for the Elkmont.

I can say from experience that my rear hitch receiver hits the ground before the plumbing does.

My problem is that the front battery tray hits the ground a bit too early. I have had to replace that and make it a bit stronger so that when I hit football sized rocks on fire roads it won't break again.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Redhawk

I've towed several times on some pretty rough roads. Cottonwood pass out of Buena Vista, and some of the "roads" around Camp Hale to get to the perfect camp siite. All I've had move was the bars on top of the gas stove. Only a couple inches, but it did come out of the mounts. I think just laying a towel or 2 on top of it would hold it in place.
Main thing I noticed was that there were more "rub" marks from the 2 roof sections moving around a bit. Nothing serious, and I suspect they will clean off.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

RedHawk -

FWIW, they won't really clean off, although they will clean up a bit. What you are seeing is the result of the paint being rubbed through, exposing the aluminum underneath. The aluminum oxidizes, producing the black powdery mark you see. You can clean off the black powder, but the bare aluminum will still show, and will oxidize again.

Use the Search tool to find posts on UHMW tape. It is an easy preventive, but you need to get it in place as soon as possible, before the rubbed areas become too large.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote