TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Al-n-Sue

As others have said, if you are only driving a short distance you are probably ok. However, keep in mind that most states have laws that require you to be able to see something that is 200 ft DIRECTLY behind your trailer - not just the lanes on either side. So you need more than just being able to see down the side of the trailer or see the lanes for lane changes and passing. You need to be able to see vehicles that are behind the trailer.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
"Maximum safety"? I hope you want significantly less than that.
I don't understand your comment at all. I want to achieve as much safety on the things that I can control as possible. Isn't that what we all want? I can't imagine anyone wanting less. Please explain!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I don't understand your comment at all. I want to achieve as much safety on the things that I can control as possible. Isn't that what we all want? I can't imagine anyone wanting less. Please explain!
I am not against increasing safety. (I have a CSP as a matter of fact)

I was just quibbling with the term "maximum". It is clear to me that staying at home and avoiding any number of activities one performs while living the RV lifestyle is much closer to a life of maximum safety than towing a trailer 500 miles every weekend during the summer. While such a life may be safer, it wouldn't be better.

I didn't want to sound like a jerk, I had intended my comment to be read in a tongue in cheek manner. I should have put one of those smiley faces in there.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm a little concerned about the advice that "you can get away without mirrors if you are not going far." My first objection is that this is someone who is new to towing. If he were broadly experienced, I probably wouldn't object, but for a newbie, this could be a problem.

The other objection lies in the definition of "not very far". Two hundred miles is probably 4 hours for a newbie, and if he is already a bit white-knuckled and unsure, and probably tired, this is going to be a long trip.

As some of you know, I am a big fan of McKesh mirrors (never used the clones, but they look the same so probably perform the same). But I am definitely NOT a fan of NO mirrors.

Just my thought.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
TM_Matt

With my Dodge 2500 the stock (non-towing) mirrors are just too narrow to see straight behind. Only slightly. I added some very nice bubbles from Kragen but try changing lanes with bubbles. The biggest risk I think fault assignment if in an accident. It would be very hard to argue why towing mirrors were not in place.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
camp2canoe

We've had good success with the CIBA slip over mirrors on our F-150. Unlike the strap on mirrors, they don't vibrate like mad and stay put. The only downside is that they have left some black marks on the red paint of our factory mirrors. - camp2canoe
Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default The statute in Virginia

Thomas Jefferson wrote this for us in 1790 or so:

§ 46.2-1082. Mirrors.

"No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in the Commonwealth if the vehicle is not equipped with a mirror which reflects to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of not less than 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

No motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth, designed and licensed primarily for passenger vehicular transportation on the public highways and manufactured after 1968 shall be driven on the highways in the Commonwealth unless equipped with at least one outside and at least one inside rear view mirror meeting the requirements of this section.

Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, no motor vehicle which either has no rear window, or which has a rear window so obstructed as to prevent rearward vision by means of an inside rear view mirror, shall be required to be equipped with an inside rear view mirror if such motor vehicle has horizontally and vertically adjustable outside rear view mirrors installed on both sides of such motor vehicle in such a manner as to provide the driver of such motor vehicle a rearward view along both sides of such motor vehicle for at least 200 feet."

Perhaps this leaves room for some interpretation about just how close to the sides you might have to be able to see back there 200 feet, but I believe Bill is probably right about the requirement for side mirror extensions in Virginia (and probably most other states, too). Note that the statute doesn't offer an exception for a camera system.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
I had intended my comment to be read in a tongue in cheek manner. I should have put one of those smiley faces in there.
I understand...sorry I took it literally!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Thomas Jefferson wrote this for us in 1790 or so:

§ 46.2-1082. Mirrors.
I love it!! We get so serious here sometimes, harrumphing away like an elephant. Thanks for the breath of air.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

So I guess Thomas Jefferson was far ahead of his time since in 1790 he wrote requirements for 1968 WOW I didn't realize he was clairvoyant

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote