TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question Another Question for Tundra owners

I need to get a hitch before I go the 200 miles to pick my trailer up. I don’t have any idea what to get.

Ball size?

Do I get one that sticks strait out of does it need the drop down kind to make it lower (how much drop?)

Will I want that stabilizer thing? It seems you need like a little ball on the hitch also to hook it to.

You folks have been so helpful. I have my paper work ready to send in to join the forum.
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Scott O

Need more info. What size trailer? Does your Tundra have the factory towing package? Your question is officially do you need a weight distributing hitch (WDH) and a stabilizer? Probably not the stabilizer (the TM is so light and low that "I" don't know of anyone on this forum using one) but maybe the WDH depending on your answer to the first 2 questions! The ball is 2" on all Trailmanors. Since you don't know exactly what you need for a hitch, I would suggest an adjustable model, like Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...p-9-rise/35873 An adjustable hitch will let you fine tune your Tundra and TM when you get home.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
M&M Hokie

I have two hitches for my Tundra/TrailManor combination. One is a WDH and I typically use it although I did do some experimenting with a non-WDH right after I purchased the Tundra. Getting the WDH to be just like you want can be a bit of a project.

My Pro-Eagle WDH came with an adjustable L-shaped shank that has about 6 holes in it and the hitch uses 3 of the holes to mount to the shank. The 6 holes therefore give you 4 mounting heights. Furthermore, it can be used in a rise or lower orientation so it has quite a bit of flexibility. I have it in the rise orientation but use it in the lowest set of holes. (The shank isn't truly L-shaped and is more like something between an L and a T.) If you get a Pro-Eagle WDH, start with this layout and you will probably be done but can adjust things to taste later.

If you want to just get the thing home and worry about getting the WDH all perfect later, you can go to Wally World and pick up one of those hitch ball/shank combinations that "stick out straight" like you say in your post. I got one of those for about 20 bucks that can be used as a 1" drop or 2" rise. The 2" rise works pretty well. You have to jack the TM tongue up quite a bit to get it on there and it will look like it is going to be way out of level but after you lower the tongue jack and the truck sags under the load it should look pretty level. (My adjustments were made with a loaded TM/Truck so YMMV)

I do not have any sway control in my rigging nor do I see any need for i. The TM tracks like it is on rails. If your Tundra is a 2007 or later model, my data should be pretty good for you.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I agree with M&M. Get a cheap straight hitch from WalMart, just to get you home. Maybe get one with a short drop - you can turn it over to get a short rise if you need it. Drive carefully. Then, at your leisure, get a WDH installed.

If you check the Technical Reference Library on this board (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else), you'll find a WDH tutorial by RockyMtnRay, our resident Tundra expert and towing expert. Ray is a moderator on the Tundra Owners Forum.

You almost certainly do not need a sway bar (aka stabilizer bar). If you decide that you do want to get one, do not get a friction sway control (the one with the little ball you describe). Instead, you will choose a particular WDH design that is called trunnion dual-cam - it has a much better sway control built in. Again, there is a tutorial in the Technical Reference Library.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I have the 2027SL and the Tundra does have the factory tow pac. Any suggestions as to where to shop on line for WDH? I have a swing hitch any recommendations for what WDH to get?
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a Reese trunnion-style dual-cam WDH, and it works fine on my TM, which has a swing tongue. Other names with very similar hitches are Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch. I'm not familiar with Valley, and how it would work with a swing tongue. You can even get a good hitch, installed, from U-Haul - it will probably be a Hidden Hitch.

More expensive hitches can be had from Equal-I-Zer and others. I'm not convinced that they are worth any more, but many of our members have them and are pleased.

As I recall, someone had a problem with a Curt hitch interfering with the swing tongue.

As for where to buy, an Internet search may be your best bet. They are heavy, of course, so don't forget to check into shipping cost. Choose one that is rated for 750-1000 pounds. If you buy one on-line, you may need a local installer. Sometimes they bolt on to existing holes in the vehicles frame, so check into that as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Where to buy...

Do a Google search on "tundra trailer hitch" and you'll get a zillion hits. I purchased my last two hitches and hitch receivers online, and saved a lot of money. For my TM a couple years ago, I bought a Hidden Hitch from Adventure RV in Pigeon Forge (no relation), who was selling them on Ebay. Be sure it's rated for your trailer and tongue weight.

When you think you have one picked out, go to the manufacturer's web page and download the installation instructions so that you can see what's involved. You should be able to buy one that lines up perfectly for your vehicle.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
SCBillandJane

Don't forget to get a brake controller. They are easy to install with the wiring kit that comes with Toyota trucks with the towing package.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I'd suggest looking at the Equal-i-zer Hitch. It's the easiest one to set up and use that I've ever dealt with. I always did hate the chain type units. Just my personal preference.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Redhawk

I got a Reese Pro WDH with 1200 lb bars for about $225. from the dealer. Fits on the swing hitch just fine. I paid them $50 to install it, which was silly after I saw how easy it was. You can use it as a regular "sticking out" ball mount hitch, then figure the rest out and attach the bars later.........like they say above, make sure you have your brake controller hooked up. Takes longer to figure out where to mount it then to connect it.
The fun is just starting! LOL