TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
greatsmokies

Default longest trip taken ??

What has been the longest trip that anyone has taken with their trail manor?? what kind of problems have you faced? has anyone ever been involved in any kind of accident while towing their trail manor??
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

From Houston we have been to northern Minnesota, Salt Lake City, and Pittsburgh (3 different trips) all about 1500 miles one way + diversions. That's the longest trip we can comfortably fit into a 2 week vacation. We have not had any problems with the trailer on those trips other than normal maintenance items. The worst that happened on any trip was when we had a dual tire failure on a shorter trip to Florida. The TPMS alarmed and I got off the road before the tires flew apart. Other than that, no accidents.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Columbus, Ga to Santa Fe, NM with a 2 night stop in Memphis on the way back. appx. 3300 miles round trip with four adults. Piece of cake!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
greatsmokies

we are going from TN to yellowstone --- 2000 miles one way --- first trip--- have never taken the trail manor out----- we bought it used several months ago and so far no trips----- not use to towing anything and getting uncomfortable about it !!!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Goodyear Travels

Greatsmokies, I'd run every appliance and system before hitting the road. I'd make no assumptions about things working properly without test and re-test. I'd be sure my electric brake was set properly, bearings packed, tires less than 3 yrs old with good tread (including spare) and properly inflated, & equalizer or equivalent set up to level and distribute the tongue weight. Take a test drive on neighborhood arterials -- making nice wide turns & staying in the same lane as much as possible.
When you final set off on the big trip -- keep your speed at about 60 mph and again -- try and stay in the same lane as much as possible. AND always -- give yourself extra distance for braking. This is a exciting 1st trip. We wish you well. It'll start out tense but you'll settle right into the experience and probably hardly realize that the TM is right behind you. Personally, I'd choose my fuel stops based more on accessiblity than on $$/gal. Stop at the station that doesn't require tight turns and do a visual check of everything at each stop. Best of Luck, eric
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We just did a 5-week trip cross country and back -- 7,000 miles. So far, that's our longest trip. We spent about $1,500 on fuel.

Had 2 tire blowouts, but that's it. Just take it easy -- you're not in a rush -- and enjoy the scenery. My guess is you'll get used to towing fairly quickly, especially if you're going to be mostly on freeways.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'm sad. We haven't been that far in the TM, only to Salem, OR and back is as far away as we've been.

Biggest problems we've had were the 2 blowouts we had (luckily none on the way to OR & back, when I was alone with the kids). Other than that it was great. Except for my parking challenges. I'm getting better .

If we didn't have to work, I would just take off and go anywhere just about any time if I could afford it. We'd love to go to TN and visit the TM factory. I'd just drive that TM anywhere I could and enjoy the experiences that you find day to day. I love to travel.

We might make it to Seattle this summer. IDK, we'll see. Maybe even Victoria, BC. I'd like to see Yellowstone too.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatsmokies View Post
we are going from TN to yellowstone --- 2000 miles one way --- first trip--- have never taken the trail manor out----- we bought it used several months ago and so far no trips----- not use to towing anything and getting uncomfortable about it !!!
Been there, done that. When we bought our Bounder, our first time out was from Flagstaff to Denver . . . Consequently, now I would find a way to spend at least one night at a local campground before I left on a trip like that. It isn't all that much fun to learn how things work and figure out and fix what's wrong while you're on the road.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Bob&Karen

We've been from northeast TN to Yellowstone a couple of times (once was with a pop up and once with the TM) - what great trips! We've also been to Utah (Arches NP, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, and Salt Lake City) as well as Tucson. Haven't been much further west than those as we only have 2 weeks vacation. We average between 5000 to 6000 miles round trip (that includes side trips at our destinations) and we wouldn't do it any other way!

Heed the advice given thus far - I would think a tire blowout would make a good day go bad for me really quick - I just replaced a set prior to our last trip (they were three years old and showed no signs of wear) to try to prevent this problem. I'm also anal about checking the tire pressure every morning just prior to hitching up and carry a portable compressor.

Go for it and have fun!

Bob
Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
greatsmokies

such good advice from everyone ---- hate to hear about all the tire blowouts !! boy that would make you nervous------ we did replace both tires right after we bought it and we had the brakes checked and work done there--- so hopefully no tire trouble for us------ we did get a compressor so we could check the tires each day --- so sounds like we are doing something right from all the advice you all have given -------- we bought it in NC so our first trip was coming back to gatlinburg where we live across the 30 miles stretch of mountains that run thru the national park -------- and we have been to the trail manor factory -- went there and did a tour and watched them making them ---- they were making 2 elkmont's the day we were there------ so will take the advice given and hook everything up and try it all out --- and hope it works------- the only problem we have had so far is the propane alarm went off one day -- it would not stop --- so i unhooked the battery and that took care of that till we could figure it out ------ turns out the battery was really low-----