TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
Joseph

Default What vehicle do you have now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlinRachel View Post
We recently purchased out 1st camper...a 1985 TrailManor 25. We love it in our yard and would love to enjoy it in a local campground if we could figure out the weight of the camper and what vehicle will it take to pull it? If anyone could help us with these questions please do so!!!! We would hate to lose the summer and not be able to use it. Thanks

As you read the answers from other forum members take a look at their signature. Most post what they are towing their TM with. There is always a discussion on that topic. Sometimes it gets a little warm, but it is always interesting. What type of vehicle do you have now? Most of us pull with something that can handle at least 5000 lbs towing. Good luck and Happy Camping in your TM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I've seen pictures of some of the 80's models on the internet when they were for sale, and some of them have an open space between the bathroom and the rear bed. This leads me to believe that the floorplans in the earliest models were a bit different from the current models.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Tom-417;71855]....The following link shows some floor plans, and to my accountant's eye, the bathroom sizes all appear to be the same....../QUOTE]
Tom,

Your accountant's eye evidently overlooked the "Last Modified: October 14, 2009" line at the bottom of the linked page. Those floor plans are only one year older than today's plans.

The first units used a smaller "wet bath" similar to the one used in the TrailMini.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Post Manufacturer's Information Plate

Does your TrailManor have a little plate on the side, with model, weight, manufacture date, etc.? That might be a good place to start, then add the weight of cabilnets, appliances, etc.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
I did not "come to that conclusion from that chart". I looked at some of the early TrailManors at the Monroe Boat and RV show in the mid-late '80s. The local dealer, Carter's Campers, was the first dealer to sign on with TrailManor and had them on display there. The model numbers at that time were based on the open body length. I pointed to that chart for a guide to help translate the old model numbers.
Mike
I kinda figured that but the OP stated that they have a TM25......I don't see anything that would equate to 25' open.....that's why I asked the question. I guess I should have been more clear.

I think that there has just simply been a lot of change in design as well as marketing philosophy over the years.

The bottom line is, the actual length of the trailer open matters a lot more than the # on the side of the trailer for the OPs purpose...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon View Post
Does your TrailManor have a little plate on the side, with model, weight, manufacture date, etc.? That might be a good place to start, then add the weight of cabilnets, appliances, etc.
It's the "ETC" that seems to be the biggest problem when doing that. "ETC" tends to weigh a lot more than most people think......me included.

There is no substitute for getting one's rig to the scales IMO.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
mtnguy

NADA lists the weight on a 1985 M25 as 2490 lbs. Maybe that would be a good starting point before totaling up add-ons.....AC, awning, etc.

There is a M20, M20B, and M22 also listed for that year. I always thought the M numbers matched the first 2 digits of the newer models....ie the M25 was the 2518. But after discovering those other models, I don't know if that is the case.

Like Wayne state, the best bet is for the OPer is to tow the trailer to a local truck scale and get it weighed.

A 1985 in good condition is a classic !!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
MariaG

Oh my, I've been unseated as having the oldest TM on the Forum! *G* Welcome!

My TM is a 1986 TM25, so just one year older than yours. I went out and did some measuring and checked the sticker that has the weights on it. (BTW this sticker is only visible on mine when the camper is open, it's on the top of the lower wall above the electric cord storage.) I didn't have anyone to hold the end of the tape so this isn't exactly to the millimeter, but pretty close. *g* And the bathroom is the old all in one wet bath, pictures are on my blog - address in my signature below.

Manufacture date: April 1986
GVWR 3920
GAWR 3500
Tires F78-14C 14" rim

Lower box length: 16'
Upper box length - measured at the bottom of the shells, I couldn't reach up to where it curves out at the top and was too lazy to find the stepladder: 24' 8"
Bathroom width, door side wall: 40"
Space between bathroom wall and front of rear bed wall, under wardrobe: 21"

I really need to take this to the scales and get it weighed, that's really the best way to be sure what your weights are.

Hope this helps!
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Maria, it looks to me like your TM is sort of the equivalent of the newer model 3023. I just went out and measured mine, a 2720, and it's about 23' long at the lower edge of the top shells. Interesting about the space between the bathroom wall and the rear bed. This leads me to believe that TM changed the lengths of the various models (i.e. made them about a foot and 1/2 or so longer) when they introduced the bathroom with the separate shower/tub. I wish I could get my hands on one of the early brochures for the TM's in the 80's. I have a brochure from 1996, and the floorplans are practically identical to the 2010 models.

It would be cool if we could see some 80's vintage models at one of the TM rallies here in CA!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaG View Post
Oh my, I've been unseated as having the oldest TM on the Forum! *G* Welcome!

My TM is a 1986 TM25, so just one year older than yours. I went out and did some measuring and checked the sticker that has the weights on it. (BTW this sticker is only visible on mine when the camper is open, it's on the top of the lower wall above the electric cord storage.) I didn't have anyone to hold the end of the tape so this isn't exactly to the millimeter, but pretty close. *g* And the bathroom is the old all in one wet bath, pictures are on my blog - address in my signature below.

Manufacture date: April 1986
GVWR 3920
GAWR 3500
Tires F78-14C 14" rim

Lower box length: 16'
Upper box length - measured at the bottom of the shells, I couldn't reach up to where it curves out at the top and was too lazy to find the stepladder: 24' 8"
Bathroom width, door side wall: 40"
Space between bathroom wall and front of rear bed wall, under wardrobe: 21"

I really need to take this to the scales and get it weighed, that's really the best way to be sure what your weights are.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for getting back. That length is ~about a foot longer than a 2720. Tom-417 was spot on.....

That's sorta what I figured for that year (after thinking about it for awhile). The "TM25" standing for 25' fully open. I wonder what year that they decided to use the deceptive practice of adding 3' to the actual measurement to make up the model name. Using the same marketing philosophy that they use today, your trailer would be a 2820......or a 2821?????. Depends on your length from the rear bumper to the end of the tongue.

I'm guessing that fully loaded for camping you are between 3500 - 4000#. One of the members is keeping a log of all of the different weights for all the different models. It'll be nice to have yours in there too after you get it weighed.