TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
SCBillandJane

I have a different take on air pressure that I have no real proof for believing except observation. Farm tractors do not have super wide tires, but do have super tall tires. They have to have traction in mud and dirt. Swamp buggies in Florida have the same type tire. I read in a 4 wheel drive magazine that decreasing air in a tire was an advantage only when you already had good traction such as in sand, but you wanted to float on top of the sand, or on rock where you wanted the tire to conform to the shape of the rock to increase contact area. In snow or slippery surfaces such as mud it is better to have a taller narrower tire that bites into the surface. Obviously I am not suggesting putting a tractor tire on a Trailmanor although that would be something to see. I am suggesting that to reduce surface area contact by using chains, aggressive mud tire tread, or increasing tire pressure might be helpful. Maybe the resident tire expert can comment. My only personal experience was with snow which is rare is SC. I had a Jeep station wagon with snow tires, I went up a mountain with a Jeep club that was mostly the regular jeeps with the extra wide tires that did well at the beach. I said that I was worried about being able to stay with the other jeeps. The club president said not to worry because some of the fancy wide tire jeep drivers would be wanting me to let them be passengers after they ran off the road. He was right. I had far more traction on slippery surfaces.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote