TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
PopBeavers

It sure would be nice if someone were to create a list of reasonably good tire choices, sorted from best to worst. Both 14 and 15 inch wheels.

The last time I suggested something like that I was volunteered, so ignore what I just said.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #22
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
It sure would be nice if someone were to create a list of reasonably good tire choices, sorted from best to worst. Both 14 and 15 inch wheels.

The last time I suggested something like that I was volunteered, so ignore what I just said.

Tires & Batteries..........general rule of thumb..........you get what you pay for......
Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Matt View Post
For those that have the 14" tires, would an LT tire be a good replacement or strictly a trailer tire? I have had D or E rated tires on previous trailers. TM has C for now. On the upgrade to 15", where do you get the appropriate frame spacers, etc? How much is involved to do it?

Thanks.
You can get a "Lift Kit" from TrailManor (I believe it is 2") or you can go to a local steel supplier.

I went to a local steel supplier and purchased 2, 13" pieces of 2 1/2" square tube with 3/16" wall thickness. I sorta wish I had gone with 3" though......

Check out this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...=square+tubing
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
The problem is that even collectively, we don't have enough experience. And very few of us have used more than one kind of tire, which is necessary to make a comparison.

For example, I have had good luck with 15" Marathons. How does that qualify me to judge them against 14" Kumho's? If I had used both, I might be able to compare them - but I can't even spell Kumho! I think most of us fall into that situation.

So it's a nice idea, but I don't know how we could put any validity into such a list - especially since we all drive and load differently.

By the way, the DVD was great!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
PopBeavers

The only brands for ST I know of, for any size, are:

Marathons
Carlilse
Tow Master
Something from Europe

Going to LT gives you more choices, but the theory is that they would bounce too hard, not hold up to sunlight as well as ST, do not tolerate sitting around a lot, and do not scuff very well.

Is the hard bouncing a function of trailer weight? My TM is loaded the 3,380 on the 3,500 rated axle. For that kind of weight, would LT, having a stiffer sidewall, be acceptable?

My tires see very little sunlight because I store it in the garage and when camping I am in a dense forest.

We usually go camping for the weekend once a month from February through October. Is that sitting around a lot or is it adequate to keep the lubricants on the surface of the LT tires? Both of my trucks with LT tires sit around that much and they weigh about the same on each axle as the TM.

With a single axle, scuffing is essentially not an issue.

Carlisle has had a bad reputation for a long time.

My factory Marathons had a blow out after 3 years, plus 1 year on the shelf. That was a year short of the expected 5 years.

I have Tow Masters now, because that was what was easy to get when I decided I needed to replace the Marathons ASAP. Somewhat a random choice.

I never tow faster than 60 because the limit is 55 and I will only push it 5 mph over the limit.

I never tow more than 150 miles each way to where we camp for the weekend.

Frequently in the summer the outdoor temperature of 80-90 degrees. On a very rare occasion it will be 90-95.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #26
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I had LT tires on my 98 3023 for 4 years. Went to Alaska, Yellowstone twice, Glacier, Carlsbad and numerous small trips. No problem with hard rides or bouncing or blowouts. You must have the tires balanced though.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #27
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The only brands for ST I know of, for any size, are:

Marathons
Carlilse
Tow Master
Something from Europe

Going to LT gives you more choices, but the theory is that they would bounce too hard, not hold up to sunlight as well as ST, do not tolerate sitting around a lot, and do not scuff very well.

Is the hard bouncing a function of trailer weight? My TM is loaded the 3,380 on the 3,500 rated axle. For that kind of weight, would LT, having a stiffer sidewall, be acceptable?

My tires see very little sunlight because I store it in the garage and when camping I am in a dense forest.

We usually go camping for the weekend once a month from February through October. Is that sitting around a lot or is it adequate to keep the lubricants on the surface of the LT tires? Both of my trucks with LT tires sit around that much and they weigh about the same on each axle as the TM.

With a single axle, scuffing is essentially not an issue.

Carlisle has had a bad reputation for a long time.

My factory Marathons had a blow out after 3 years, plus 1 year on the shelf. That was a year short of the expected 5 years.

I have Tow Masters now, because that was what was easy to get when I decided I needed to replace the Marathons ASAP. Somewhat a random choice.

I never tow faster than 60 because the limit is 55 and I will only push it 5 mph over the limit.

I never tow more than 150 miles each way to where we camp for the weekend.

Frequently in the summer the outdoor temperature of 80-90 degrees. On a very rare occasion it will be 90-95.
I will be leaving on a trip to Monterey tomorrow morning. After reading the horror stories about blowouts I decided to get new tires. The Marathons that were on the trailer when I got it last month were at least 3 years old. One had no date stamp at all, and both were made in China.

So, I went down to a Goodyear store and got two new Marathons, (225/75/R15), steel valve stems, including the spare, and nitrogen.

When I had opened the trailer and they had taken off the passenger side wheel, I looked in the wheel well. Although my trailer is a 3023 with the 5000 lb axle and came with 15" rims, the front side of the plastic wheel well insert is worn off right where it curves around to meet the floor. It has worn off a patch about 4" long and has made an opening about 1/2 inch high.

So...scuffing IS a problem.

Also, I was surprised to learn that the axle does not drop down when you jack up the side of the trailer. Makes sense though, no springs and the axle is mounted to the frame.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #28
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

IMHO;

As you have found the, axle does not move relative to the frame, the wheels do. The pivot arms at each end of the axle do the moving. Also, unless someone has modified your 3023, you have what is called the 3,500# axle (now called the 3,640# axle).

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Scott O

You need a lift kit to raise the body of your TM relative to the tires. Since about '06 that has been a standard feature, but it wasn't on earlier models. Many people on this forum have done this mod and it is apparently not too difficult. A search of the archives would probably get some interesting results...
Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 AM   #30
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Tom's 3023 *does* have a 5000lb torflex axle.

Tom's right about his TM- The 3023 and 3124 models have come with 15" tires, 5000lb axles for many, many years- maybe going all the way back to when they were first invented. It's the little ones (2619, 2720) and the 2-axle 3326 which used to be built with 14" tires on the 3500lb Torflex. But .... I have another bit for Tom to consider, too:

Whether or not it is "easy" to order and install lift kits varies, according to the model year of your TM. If the axle is bolted to the frame, then it's easy- take the bolts off, put in the lift kit bracket, and then bolt it all back together again per lift kit instructions. But, in many model years, including mine, TM was welding the Torflex to the Frame. Stronger, but you need to cut the weld to take it apart for upgrade. (I therefore ordered my 2619 built with lift kit and 5000lb axle at the factory; it's much harder to add afterwards.)

If your 3023 is welded, then you might think about whether you can just re-cut both wheel wells to allow more room for the current "scrapes the front of the well" tire positioning. (I don't know the clearance from wheel well front edge to the water heater, or fridge, or plumbing stuff, or stove, on your 3023. But it's worth a look.) If you see that adding lift requires the axle to be cut loose, and you choose to go this route instead -- then it's also a good opportunity to replace the plastic wheel well liner with more protective sheet metal, too.