TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Ranger Rick

Default Raising the trailer to increase clearance

I just bought a 2006 TM 2027 SL, brought it home and was barely able to get it in the driveway. There is a dip where the driveway and road meet, on backing the trailer in it scraped badly on the concrete.

Is there a simple way to raise the trailer to increase clearance without going through the expense of upgrading to 15" wheels?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #22
Redhawk

I did not think to measure after changing to 15" wheels, but I don't think the 15's really gain you that much. Maybe 3/4" ? Others more experienced will answer I'm sure, but I suspect the answer would be to install a lift kit.

The other thing I noticed dealing with the same issue, is to make sure your hitch height and load leveling (WDH) are correct. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
Joseph

Default Lift Kit

Ranger Rick - The factory has a lift kit that you can purchase. If you like to work on things you may be able to install it yourself. See signature.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #24
grakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
Is there a simple way to raise the trailer to increase clearance without going through the expense of upgrading to 15" wheels?
The simplest way may be to put some 2x4s down in the dip. I know that doesn't increase your clearance, but if that is the only place where you have problems, it might work for just parking.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Are you scraping on the rear of the trailer, or at the hitch...or both?

If it's only for a short distance and WDH is properly adjusted, you may be able to install some skid wheels.

My dad had the type in the first picture in the below link on the rear of his Komfort trailer years ago.

The "Mini-Roller Weld-On" look to be more durable...

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/RV_Part...kid_wheels.htm
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #26
mecicon
TrailManor Master

I have read every post and cross post on Tires, Tires, Tires...

Most of my travel will be in the 4th and 1st quarter of the calendar year. Heat should not be an issue, the bearings are packed, the trailer will be packed not over the limit but packed (hunting gear, dog food, propane, toilet charged, fresh water full, food, clothing, et cetera).

Having just purchased the TM I would rather put $400 in tires than $600-$700 in tires and lift kit, at this time.

Of all the 14" Load Range "D" tires what can be recommended?

Cooper?
Kumho?
Hankook?
Michelin?
Triangle?

I have not found any Continentals yet.

Or are they all about the same. I understand that balance is vitally important with the harder riding tire. I found some Coopers (on ebay) and of course Sears has Hankook and Kumho. Every independent tire dealer looks at me like I am a unicorn when I tell them what I want.

Tell me your experience Brand, # Miles, # Years with the tires.

Thank you.
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #27
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
Having just purchased the TM I would rather put $400 in tires than $600-$700 in tires and lift kit, at this time.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. A set of tires will cost you $300-$400, and the lift kit costs about $40 and can be installed yourself or done by a shop for probably $50. But you may already have the lift kit as it was installed on later models.

So first off, what model do you have?

Perhaps more important than brand is weight capacity. I would simply install the tire with the greatest capacity I could find. Of all the brands you listed, except for Triangle for which I am unfamiliar, I would go with any of them, provided they all had the same capacity and they were all trailer tires. Do not install passenger vehicle tires on your trailer.

If you move up to a 15" wheel, you can get a E load range tire, which puts you in an even better position.

As you can see in my signature, I have had 2 Kumho blowouts, just 2 days apart.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 AM   #28
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Default 195r 14c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. A set of tires will cost you $300-$400, and the lift kit costs about $40 and can be installed yourself or done by a shop for probably $50. But you may already have the lift kit as it was installed on later models.

So first off, what model do you have?

Perhaps more important than brand is weight capacity. I would simply install the tire with the greatest capacity I could find. Of all the brands you listed, except for Triangle for which I am unfamiliar, I would go with any of them, provided they all had the same capacity and they were all trailer tires. Do not install passenger vehicle tires on your trailer.

If you move up to a 15" wheel, you can get a E load range tire, which puts you in an even better position.

As you can see in my signature, I have had 2 Kumho blowouts, just 2 days apart.

Dave
You are generally right about the price, but I am going to replace all three tires with load range D. The 15" would require lift kit, tires and wheels.

My TM is a 2006 2619 with (currently) 14" wheels.

I am NOT considering anything but a trailer tire, hence load range D.

How many miles on your Kumhos?

How many years?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #29
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

FYI, my Kumhos just blew out a few months ago after 3 years and who knows how many mlies. Maybe 10,000 at most. Mileage is never the issue -- the tires looked practically brand new.

I upgraded to 15" wheels at that point. It's not as expensive as you think. The tires are roughly the same price, and wheels are only about $35-$40 each (x3). Total cost for labor, tires, mounting, and wheels was ~$500. I'd much rather pay an extra $100-$150 now than change another tire in 100 degree heat and waste 6 hours on a trip.

You probably already have the lift kit installed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #30
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

You probably already have the lift kit installed.

Dave

I will check that first. If it already has the lift kit I will just go with 15".

It seems like its the 'years' not the 'miles' that matters most on these tires.