TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
exprezchef

Default Towing with a GMC Acadia

So now I am very excited....I was able to sell my boat yesterday and am now in the market for a used TM 2720 (non-SL or SD). My TV will be a 2008 GMC Acadia with towing pkg installed and I will still need to add an electronic brake controller. I am limited to 4500lbs. Any Acadia, Traverse or Enclave owners out there having any issues with pulling a 2720?

BTW...this forum is great, I was initially looking at high-wall tent trailers but after learning about the Trailmanors from this site, I feel that a TM will be a better fit and worth the extra money. Last weekend I was able to spend some time at Custom RV in Aneheim, CA and was given the full tour of what the Trailmanors have to offer.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Chef -

If you've been to CustomRV in Anaheim, you've been to one of the best dealers in the network. I suggest you continue to deal with them unless you find a reason not to do so.

Your post really belongs in the Towing Rigs forum, and I will move it there in a couple days. In the meantime, I will leave it here, so you can see the initial responses. But you might consider becoming a Site Sponsor. The fee is quite nominal at $12 per year, and it gives you access to all of the forums, including more than a dozen technical forums, that are the heart of the board.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I have no experience with the vehicles you listed.

However I do have experience with what a heavy 2720 is.

Several years ago I weighed it. I was loaded as if I had 5 adults going for a week. The floor was completely full. I had all of the water that the TM was designed for. I had several cases of water other beverages loaded. I was trying to simulate my worst case load scenario.

I weighed the axle at 3780 pounds. I did not weigh the tongue.

I estimate that the total loaded weight was around 4,100 pounds. To be heavier I would need a rock collection.

When selecting a tow vehicle there are a lot of numbers to be aware of. I suggest that you consider the TM max weight to be around 4,000 with a tongue weight of around 400. The tow capacity of any vehicle may be reduced by the amount of cargo, passengers and gas that is in the vehicle. This may or may not be true for any particular vehicle. Check the owners manual.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exprezchef View Post
So now I am very excited....I was able to sell my boat yesterday and am now in the market for a used TM 2720 (non-SL or SD). My TV will be a 2008 GMC Acadia with towing pkg installed and I will still need to add an electronic brake controller. I am limited to 4500lbs. Any Acadia, Traverse or Enclave owners out there having any issues with pulling a 2720?

BTW...this forum is great, I was initially looking at high-wall tent trailers but after learning about the Trailmanors from this site, I feel that a TM will be a better fit and worth the extra money. Last weekend I was able to spend some time at Custom RV in Aneheim, CA and was given the full tour of what the Trailmanors have to offer.
We have a 07 Saturn Outlook (with tow package) and have pulled both my 2720SL and my Elkmont over much of the US. In the midwest no poblem. But in moving about and through the S Lake Tahoe area (in the summer) it stated to heat up. So I turned off the AC. Still ran a little warm but it worked. Did not really know what I was doing when I got the Outlook. Would go with somthing else now. But it works and my wife says we are not spending money on another new car. LOL I think I was at the max for my tow rating for my Outlook. Also I can't seem to get better than 11.5 MPG on most of my driving. About 8.9 in the mountains.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
PopBeavers

When the engine is running hot, besides turning off the a/c, also turn on the heater and roll down the windows. Set the heater on high.

The heater is a small radiator for the engine with a fan to force air across the fins.

Unfortunately, the heat is vented to where you are sitting.

But it does help.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Tom-417

Default Over heating

Years ago I was overheating our car and used the heater trick suggested above. We were in the desert and with no shade in sight I was praying that God would not allow us to die of heat stroke. Finally saw a station in the distance but it was deserted long ago. We parked under the canopy and I found a cistern in the back. Jerry-rigging a quart oil can and some wire I was able to refill my radiator and get on to California. It turned out to be a cheap and easy fix. My radiator cap was faulty.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

I tow with a 2012 GMC Acadia Denali......great so far....Currently I am averaging over 15 mpg with the trailer with Tow/Haul engaged.. the extra space of the Acadia (compared to my 2002 Trailblazer) is a real plus!
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Scott O

I have no opinion regarding your TV, but will echo Bill's comments regarding Custom RV in Anaheim. In all of my dealings with them they have been 100% top notch. Highly recommended...