TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2003, 08:36 AM   #11
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Satellite and Mudflaps

Happy,
The extra wire is a lightning ground conductor. The power for the dish amplifier is carried on the coax cable (the one with the center wire/conductor and the outside braided/foil shield). The center conductor carries the positive DC voltage and the negative is on the shield. The center conductor also carries the digital signal to the converter and the return path is on the cable shield. The DC voltage component is blocked from the receiver by the use of a simple capacitor in the line. The part that is a mystery to me is the statement that someone used a satellite connection to the cable connector and it worked. I can't figure out how it was hooked up unless there is a separate power cable run out to the dish.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Satellite

[quote author=Russ-Bett link=board=7;threadid=1150;start=0#msg7946 date=1060478735]
Apparently you can't run a satellite signal through the cable connection in the TM -- at least not in our 2003 2619. In order to make use of my dishnetwork unit, I drilled a whole in the telephone face plate for a coupler, then ran a short cable down and out through the grill work in back of the refrigerator. Now we have a great satellite signal in our TM.[/quote]And CWB replied
[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=7;threadid=1150;start=msg8116#msg8116 date=1060783222]
I have used my satellite through the cable hookup...I don't understand why yours didn't work. Did you check the connectors on the back of the panel inside? Maybe the cable is loose on the back of the panel, causing some problems, but ours seems to work just fine.
Larry
[/quote]You should be able to use your satellite system through the TM's Winegard TV panel (the small white plastic panel beside the refrig). The Winegard web site is a bit vague, but seems to confirm this. Hook your satellite dish to the "Cable" connection on the outside of the TM, hook your satellite set-top box to the "TV" output, turn OFF the power switch at the Winegard panel, and away you go - I think.

For the detail-oriented among you, the following picture should explain what's going on. The TV panel beside the refrig actually has four cable connectors. Two of them are inputs, and two are outputs. Only one of the four is visible - the one that pokes out through the panel for connection to your TV. The other three are behind the panel.

The two inputs are labelled "Antenna In" and "Cable In". The cable from "Antenna In" goes up to the crank-up antenna on the roof. In the 2002 and earlier models, "Cable In" didn't go anywhere, but in either the 2003 or 2004 models, TM added an outdoor cable TV inlet connected to "Cable In". If you don't have an outdoor connection but would like one, it is pretty easy to add.

The two outputs are labelled "TV" and "Set 2" (for a second TV). The one labelled "TV" sticks out through the plate - this is the one you see. To the best of my knowledge, "Set 2" doesn't go anywhere in any TM model.

When you push the Power button on the little TV panel, three things happen.
1. The little green LED lights up.
2. As Mike Laupp noted, DC power is sent through resistor R and up the cable to the crank-up antenna, which has a built-in amplifer.
3. The relay pulls down, connecting the "Antenna In" input to the splitter (and thus to both outputs), and disconnecting "Cable In".

When you turn off the Power button, the relay returns to the position shown in the diagram, connecting "Cable In" to the splitter, and disconnecting "Antenna In".

Did that make any sense?

A satellite setup should be easy to add. The satellite dish also has an amplifier in it, just like the crank-up antenna does. This amplifier also expects to get DC power through its cable, but the source of the power is now your satellite system's set-top box. If you hook the satellite dish to "Cable In", connect the set-top box to "TV" or "Set2", and turn the power button OFF, the set-top box will send power out to the dish.

At this point, when you push the little Power button on and off, you switch your TV system back and forth between the crank-up antenna and the satellite system.

I would expect this to work, and it apparently did for Civil_War_Buff. He and I have compared notes on cable hookups (thanks for the help, Larry), and this all makes sense. If your setup won't work, make sure that hookup (dish and set-top box) match this hookup description. And feel free to email me with specific problems or questions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #13
Russ-Bett

Default Re:Satellite and Mudflaps

Thank you for all of your good comments. Your responses have been very helpful.

When I first set up my satellite system, I tried both positions of the Power button on the little TV panel -- neither one allows any satellite signal to come through. To confirm that, I set up my system again today (we have our TM open in preparation for a trip to New England), I was still unable to get any satellite signal through. However I had no problem getting a signal through via a direct connect to the dish.

Maybe my Winegard TV panel is not working correctly. While at a RV park, I was able to hook up to cable -- I know that that part of the Winegard TV panel is working correctly. Sometimes I not sure about the connection to the roof-top antenna since sometimes it seems I get better reception when the amplifier is turned off.

I'm going to take a closer look at the Winegard TV panel to see if it is hooked up correctly. Your diagram will be a good help.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Satellite - apologies

[quote author=Bill link=board=7;threadid=1150;start=msg9123#msg9123 date=1063482649]You should be able to use your satellite system through the TM's Winegard TV panel (the small white plastic panel beside the refrig). The Winegard web site is a bit vague, but seems to confirm this. Hook your satellite dish to the "Cable" connection on the outside of the TM, hook your satellite set-top box to the "TV" output, turn OFF the power switch at the Winegard panel, and away you go - I think. For the detail-oriented among you, the following picture should explain what's going on. [/quote]

My apologies to those who took the time to read my post on this topic. I opened my TM today and checked, and despite my reading of the Winegard web site and my own experience, the Winegard panel does NOT appear to have a DC connection from either of the outputs, through the splitter, to the cable input. That means that if your satellite dish has a built-in amplifier, and if your set-top box provides power for this amplifier via the coax cable, then it won't work in the connection arrangement I described.

No excuses, I jumped the gun on this one, shouldn't have posted before I got the TM open and double-checked it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote