TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
Beak12

Default Fyi

Sorry do not know just where this note should be posted. 'So here goes.

Just finished a 3 month 12,524 mile trip with my Elkmont 24----
Marathon Radial ST225/75R15 not one problem.

I checked the tire pressure every other day. Kept 26PSI as posted on the side of the TM. Elkmont loaded for this trip was 4100lbs.

I tried never to go over 57 MPH, except when forced to by traffic conditions. 55 MPH is the legal speed in CA when pulling trailer. I was on the road when the air temp was 45 and as high as 99.

PS: I did have to put new tires on my Outlook. Goodyear at $250 per tire. And I had a flat on my left rear. Nail---
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
PopBeavers

26 psi sounds rather low to me.

My TM 2720 weighs about 4100 pounds and I inflate o 50 psi.

If I load a little more cargo I will exceed the tire capacity.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #23
wmtire

I think it's just a typo. According to the spec sheet, the trailer comes with Load Range D tires (65 psi max), so it was probably 62 psi instead of 26.

P.S. I sure hope the typo is not on the placard from Trailmanor, but I can't imagine the tires holding up under 26 psi if that was the case.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I think it's just a typo. According to the spec sheet, the trailer comes with Load Range D tires (65 psi max), so it was probably 62 psi instead of 26.

P.S. I sure hope the typo is not on the placard from Trailmanor, but I can't imagine the tires holding up under 26 psi if that was the case.
I stand corrected. And I would like to say it was a typo. But it's just as I typed it.-----So the real information is---the sign on the Elkmont and it reads 65 PSI and that is what I kept it at. And again I hve to say with all those miles I never had a tire problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #25
brulaz

John, on another thread in this tire section, I report a difference in tire wear. The passenger side tire wearing more than the other. Especially on the outer edge.

Have you noticed anything similar? We have the same trailer, go about the same speed. And went about the same distance. But I had my tires at 50psi.

Would appreciate your comments.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #26
clown9644

One thing I did not see anyone mention is alignment. If the camper and TV are parked so they are in a perfect straight line, the tires on the camper should be in perfect alignment with the tv (you can use a string stretched across the side of the campers tires on the rear of the tv tires) . If they are not they will be running a wee bit sideways increasing wear and a lot of heat! Toe in and out will also, they should be sitting perfectly flat on the surface when on a level surface. An easy check would be a level or carpenters square, level if on very level ground, carpenters square if surface is flat but not level. The more the tire is even and straight, the cooler they run. Nitrogen helps as it is not effected by heat/cold, pressure stays the same. Of course if the tires have been used with proper pressure the wear of the tire will tell the story. If worn inside too much toe in, outside, toe out.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #27
clown9644

I just realized I forgot to mention a tires birth date. Yes tires age just like us only much faster. It is suggested that a trailer's tires not be more than 5 or 6 years old, even if it sets in a garage!!!
Here is a short story on the aging process
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

This is a 9 minute ABC report on old tires that look new>>> killing people
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

And here is how to check your tires birth date
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Tires need as much attention, or more than every other component on our TMs!