TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
KevinP

Default Entertainment System idea

Here’s an idea that’s a simple entertainment system idea for a 2720SL. It includes TV, Movies on DVD, USB or SD card, streaming of internet content, and all sound through the stereo speakers. Components:
1. Inexpensive car stereo with Aux sound, DVD, USB and SD input, and video output. I found one at Frye’s for $109.00 + tax. Includes remote for all functions.
2. 19” LCD TV with lot of inputs and outputs. It’s mounted on the rear of the refrigerator side wall on a multi-position mount that matches the one next to my wife’s make up counter (since it’s her TV, easy swap for trips). With TV removed and the mount swung forward it clears the slideout for closing.
3. To stream content from the internet (TV, movies, etc) without wired wifi, we use a mobile PC (ASUS tablet) with an HDMI output to the TV, and my Verizon Android 3G phone ‘fixed’ to work as a mobile wifi router (mifi).
For media on DVD, USB, SD card: The radio has an RCA video out cable which is routed around the frig and out a hole in the phone jack plate. For $20 it could look prettier with a dedicated RCA jack plate in place of the 90’s era phone jack. Most of these radios have a video lock out to prevent the video feature from working when the car is driving, which needs to be disabled. Mine was disabled by grounding a wire marked ‘parking brake’.
For TV sound, we plug the ‘earphone out’ jack on the TV to ‘auxiliary in’ jack on the radio. The TV tuner picks up about 100 digital stations here in San Diego through the crank up antennae.
Next on the list: 12V TV, 12V adaptor for the tablet pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1217.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	5942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1219.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5943  
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
ng2951

Not bad, but I would try the 26" HD TVs. They are easy to stash and there are some good ones out there.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Bigbit

Very interesting and clever...

I did something in my Elkmont that I'm very happy with. I added an Apple TV unit to my RV TV.

The Apple TV is designed to stream media on to your television, including Netflix, YouTube and Apple's own movie and TV show rental business. None of this is usually very helpful at a campground because there is either no wifi, or its bandwidth is too narrow to support the required streaming rates. However, what is very interesting about Apple TV is that you can also stream movies or shows (and music) from a PC running iTunes with a shared iTunes library.

Assuming that you already have a laptop, the total cost to do this is the $99 for the Apple TV, plus an HDMI cable. What you need:

Apple TV unit
Laptop with wireless and Apple's iTunes installed
TV with HDMI input (most flat screen TV's have this)
HDMI cable
Connectify software (freeware)

It's best to set the system up the first time somewhere where you have a wireless Internet connection. With your laptop on the Internet, boot up the Apple TV, and follow the instructions to connect it to the Internet, and also set up the sharing to your laptop. Verify that the connection is working, and that media streaming works, then disconnect from the wireless network. Once you've done this, run the Connectify software on the laptop, and make your laptop wireless a hotspot, using its wizard. Give the hotspot a name and password. On the Apple TV, log onto the laptop hotspot with the same password; now the Apple TV should be wirelessly connected to the laptop, and with iTunes running on the laptop, any music, shows or movies on your laptop can be streamed over to the Apple TV.

Here's a few installation shots:

The Apple TV mounted to the wall with adhesive velcro strips. Apple TV is very small; less than 5" X 5" X 1". You can see the power and HDMI cables coming from the top:

The entire system on the RV wall. The cabling takes up more space than the Apple TV:

The TV streaming one of my wife's favorite movies (Steel Magnolias). I went outside to relax!

Since the Apple TV is a "passive" wireless device, you need something to act as a hotspot and control communications. I originally planned to use a wireless router as my hotspot, but that adds cost. When I learned about Connectify, that gave me the hotspot I needed, and since I always have my laptop with me when camping, that problem was solved. Then, realizing that the laptop stores more media than I could ever put on my iPad, I decided to use that and iTunes as my data stream source.

Of course, you need to have watchable TV's and movies in Apple format for this to work, which I have as an avid iPad user. One way to get these is to convert the DVD's you have via a conversion program that converts DVD's to .MP4 format. I use one from Aiseesoft that cost $29.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Egad! I don't know what I would do with a 26" TV in my 2720SL. Viewing distance would be so short as to be hurtful to the eyes. A 3326 is different, of course.

Like Kevin, I installed a 15" unit. I wanted it mounted higher, since for me, the armchair is in Kevin's chosen location. I did it like this

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4968

but others have attached brackets of various kinds to the wall in the same area

A somewhat larger TV would probably work in a 2720 if the TV is to be mounted farther away (on the bathroom wall). To each his own ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Pitbull

Luckily the current 2720SL comes with a Kenwood car head unit (w/input jack & remote). I made shelves for the living room and one is for a 22" LCD monitor and laptop (I could use the laptop monitor). I'm using an external USB tuner/video recorder that can input every reception format (including the TM antenna). You can even download channel guides for your current location/input format. I also upgraded the TM speakers and antenna. The shelves are now stained light oak and polyurethaned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198MYB0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF9G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U2DPUE

Koz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5895.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	5944  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
KevinP

Interesting Idea on the Apple TV for wireless data streaming. Don't you need a Betamax to watch Steel Magnolia's?

Koz, did the antenna add-on make much of a difference?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Interesting Idea on the Apple TV for wireless data streaming. Don't you need a Betamax to watch Steel Magnolia's?
LOL... You couldn't get me to watch that tearjerker... But it's one of the better half's favorites. So she watches the movie while I work on the PC!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Koz, did the antenna add-on make much of a difference?
I have not had a chance to see how well it works yet but it was recommended by a friend who swears by it. Read the reviews by owners.

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-WI...owViewpoints=1

Koz