TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Default Wheel Well Skirts

I have a question about the wheelwell skirts that are covering the upper part of the tire. I know that they are held on by two square headed screws, (proper name for them is Robertson Screws named after the inventor), but what I do not know is after removing the screws, I still can't get the skirts off without maybe damaging them. I want to get the balance checked on the tire assemblies but I'm afraid to pull on the skirts. I think that they are held on with an adhesive or at least silicone around the curved part of the skirt but I'm not sure. It is a new TM 2720/2011 so I don"t want to damage them. Does anyone know how they are held on besides the screws?

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
gmferg

My '08 2619 has the same issue. I removed the screws and tried to remove the skirt and it started to tear. It looks like it is glued in place or a heavy coating of factory paint has it secured in place. When replacing my tires about a year ago, I discovered I could still remove the wheels with the skirts in place by jacking the trailer up a little higher.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
RogerR

Did you lift them up a couple of inches. Both my 2005 and 2007 have a lip on the back that slips over a lip attached to the wheel well.

To take off I take out the screws and tap the cover in the middle of the bottom with the heel of my hand until the come off the lip. Dirt and crud do act like an adhesive but they break free if you go straight up. Reverse to reattach.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info ROGERR. I will try that method although gingerly. Don't want to damage the skirt. I they used some kind of adhesive as I suspect they did around the curved section in a stitching manner, I will have to carefully cut this to try to remove them. I also think that you are right GMFERG in that you can just get the tire out of the well with the newer units although it is a close shave and I will give it a try. I would rather remove the skirt if possible.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Yes, on mine (an older model) you must pull straight up a couple of inches before the skirt comes free.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

They will come off by gently tapping them upward!!!!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
pauloh

My skirts are off (so to speak) right now as I was changing the tires recently and it's been raining ever since (so it seems). There was a little clear caulk under/along top lip of the skirt holding down, and some dirt/crud gluing it as well but they still came off quite easily...slide up after removing screws. Mine have I think 3 or 4 screws each though so perhaps the design has changed a bit since '04. I thought you had to get these off to change the tire efficiently, if that is still true you'd want to know how to remove them.
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info. Managed to remove the tires without removing the skirt by just removing the two screws that hold it near the bottem. The tire just makes it. I think your right about the clear or semi opague sealer that holds the top of the skirt in place. It was applied in a stitching manner about one inch long intervals across the curve of the skirt. The factory must have applied this as it is a brandnew unit. Well I got the tires serviced and I'm in the process of installing heavy duty mupflaps as a blowout damage prevention before putting the tires back on. Trailer work never stops as you well know just like a home, always something to do.