TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
moaboy

Thanks WMTIRE. I gather from your post that you don't use or recommend any of the retail tire "protecting" solutions sold? Or is there one you found that actually helps protect the rubber?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
brulaz

Default Another once of prevention

Just to add a little more caution:

Always check what your tire dealer is doing, especially if you haven't dealt with them before. ("wmtire" excepted of course)

Just recently had a new set of tires put on my TV in Fort Myers, Fl. First, they got the wrong tires ordered in and didn't check them (or hoped I wouldn't notice?) and started putting them on. Turns out they couldn't get the ones I wanted.

But I was desperate (had to check out of the campground by 1pm) so they came up with an alternative. "Mud+Snow" instead of the "Severe Snow" rating I wanted, but what can you expect in Florida? I later checked the tire pressures on the new tires: one was 32# and three were 45#. The max pressure for these tires is 35# and my TV's says they should be 29#. Sheesh.

And the tires were 1.5 years old. I would have rejected them if they were over 2.

All in all not a very satisfying experience.

Anyway, double check everything.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

good advice I ran into this last year before leaving for Alaska. Got the wrong tires, C load range instead of D

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Thanks WMTIRE. I gather from your post that you don't use or recommend any of the retail tire "protecting" solutions sold? Or is there one you found that actually helps protect the rubber?
I can just say don't use the regular armor-all. Their tire specific stuff may be oK, but I don't know this for sure. We see first-hand how how a lot of the stuff with petro-chemicals damages the tires.

Here is a link to a Michelin site for rv tires. You can click on the motorhome article on the bottom-left of the page, and kinda read their take on using (or not using) tire dressing products.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/index.jsp

They also have some videos on rv's, that could also be helpful for travel trailers or your tow vehicle.........like how to weigh your axles, and steering thru a tire blowout.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...er_Should_Know

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...Critial_Factor
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
moaboy

Excellent article and some good points on leveling with radial tires. Thanks.