TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Ken,
Yes, its big, 5100 empty weight. But if safety, comfort, and worry free loading matter, its worth it. Most DW's like safety and comfort, especially if there are kids/grandkids involved. A test drive at a local dealer's might open new possibilities. Just a thought.

My .02

Tom
I also have a crew cab truck. I just used it last week to bring a ton of base rock home, so they hd to weigh it.

Mine weighs 6,250 with half a tank of gas, no cargo and not even me in it.

At about 22 feet long, it is not a good idea to take it to the shopping mall around Christmas.

My wife likes the 2500HD with the 8 foot bed better than the 1500HD with the 6.5 foot bed.

I air the tires down when running empty to soften the ride.

My daughter, at 5 foot 4, can tow the TM, but has a bit of a problem seeing anything close to the front bumper.

I alternate driving the two trucks to work, 20 miles round trip. I get 16 mpg empty on the freeway on a good day. 21.5 to 13.0 around town and 11.5 towing on the freeway.

But nothing else will haul the stuff I take with me. I had to stop using the 1500HD because I was unable to remove the wheel from the front TM jack due to the sag from the cargo load without using a bottle jack. That is one reason I upgraded to a bigger truck.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
larrylifelines

Default Thanks for the TV help

Thanks to all for your input on what TV to buy. Yesterday, we picked up our 2009 Chevy Traverse LT. Has the factory tow package. I also just bought the Prodigy P2 controller with fittings for that Traverse. So I think all I need to get is a WDH. As my TM is 100 miles from where I am now, I won't be able to test out the Traverse's towing ability for a few days. Looking forward to it!

I realize a TV like the F-150 would give me more of a cushion, but the Traverse satisfies my desire to tow and DW's desire for a user-friendly everyday car.

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Congratulations, and looking forward to how it goes.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Brutus

Very good choice Ken. The Traverse should handle both jobs (towing and keeping DW happy) quite nicely. Let us know how it handles your 2720SL. I may be looking into one someday too.