TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
ThePair
TrailManor Master

The only problem we've had with our TM out the door was a sink drain that was a little loose from travel. I hand tightened it. The toilet didn't flush solids well, but that's Thetford's design, not TrailManor's. Anything else has been my doing and/or vibration which can afflict any RV or camper/trailer.

I certainly wouldn't turn away from TM. We have no regrets at all.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
brulaz

Unfortunately, people we talked to before purchasing our Trailmanor said the most important consideration was a reliable and local dealer to fix problems, under warranty or otherwise. And they were not talking about Trailmanor, but Airstream.

So we got the impression that pretty much all makes of trailer have problems.

We purchased ours because we liked the light-weight engineering and layout. But there were substantial QC problems. Most of which are behind us now ... knock on wood.

Other than that, we love the product.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriettahankenson View Post
Re: Master George comment
Reading this thread makes me feel I should start looking at something else.
It is important to realize that this is a problem-solving forum, and therefore people bring their problems here to ask for help. The fact that you read about a lot of problems means that we have a lot of members, and the members have confidence about getting help here. But it doesn't mean that TMs have more problems than other brands. As Brulaz pointed out, even the high end trailers such as Airstream (my parents owned 3 of them!) have problems. Without doubt, some are workmanship related, and it seems like they shouldn't happen if the factory is paying attention. Some are design problems, which get fixed over the course of time. And some are simply random. Most are easily addressed, especially with the help of the members of this board. But the need to do so can be disappointing, no doubt.

TM builds maybe a thousand units a year, so they have a very small experience base compared to a company like Toyota. As you know, Toyota builds millions of vehicles a year, and they still have problems and failures, some pretty serious. You'd think that after building millions, they would get it right. But there is no such thing as perfection, and occasional problems are inevitable. You have to decide how you are going to handle that. You can address them calmly, quietly, and rationally, and fix the problem and move on. Or you can scream and holler accusations and threats. Guess which will yield a better owner-user experience for you?

Just my thoughts. But don't give up on TM just because this board encourages the owners to ask questions and fix problems.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Consider that GM just recalled 250,000 cars, TM is doing pretty well.

All cars, trucks, and RVs will, from time to time, have a problem that the owner can not fix.

If you were on a road trip and you need to rebuild the engine, how would you handle that? The TM will not have that magnitude of a problem, unless it is in a severe accident.

But that is just my opinion. After the one year warranty ran out, I have had only nominal issues:

1. torn awning.
2. broken Formica along the edge.
3. I should sand the rust spots in the from and spray some black paint on it in places.
4. The corner trim was worn from the rear bed latch rubbing on it while towing. This was cosmetic, but I did not like it. So I had the corner trim replaced.
5. I installed a different faucet in the kitchen. I discovered that if I close the TM and the faucet lever is in the up position that it will dent the interior roof. That was my fault.
6. I broke the switch that controls the rear shell lights. That was my fault.

I can not think of anything else that has been an issue. We bought it new and took delivery in March 2005.

I would be more concerned with whatever you are towing it with.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
cochise

grlewis1
Site Sponsor wrote:

Our major disappointment came, when we addressed these issues in a letter to Mr. Hulsey and never received any acknowledgment from him or the company. Therefore, we still don’t know who is responsible for quality control. Should it be the company before the unit leaves the factory, or the dealer who gets paid a reasonable fee for dealer clean up and prep charges.

I can only nod my head in total agreement with the complaint about not getting a response from Mr. Hulsey. I have sent letter to the company and never received an answer, not until I involved RVIA and the CEO of Suburban Manufacturing (the furnace people) did something happen. As far as pre-delivery prep is concerned, it all depends on where you buy. I bought from Texas RV Center (as did someone else here), and we both had the exact same problem, he 6 months after I reported it to Texas RV, so they had not learned anything from that experience. We also had weight issues that are now going to be investigated by the Texas Department of Transportation.

Do we like our Elkmont 24? Yes we do, and TrailManor has finally made good on their warranty (but not before getting other companies involved) and we are now 11 months after we purchased it going to get on the road for what is left of the summer. But it would have been nice if TrailManor in general and Mr. Hulsey in particular had been a little more customer oriented.

Just my 2 cents worth.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
MisterP

One potential way to minimize new trailer delivery problems is to use a PDI checklist.

There are many PDI (pre delivery inspection) checklists out there, but I used this one as a basis for refusing delivery of my toyhauler a couple of years ago.

http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml

The best protection you have if buying a new vehicle of any type is to not sign any contracts or paperwork until you have fully inspected it. When I bought the TH the dealer was upset that I wanted the inspection and kept trying to get me into the office to sign paperwork.

As a result of some major defects I refused delivery and did not get the trailer until 2 weeks later. There were other issues later that would not have been found in the PDI which had to be dealt with as a warranty issue. But as long as the dealer retains ownership, you do not have to accept delivery if something is wrong. And you should not if there are any problems. I told them in advance I was bringing a PDI checklist, sent them a copy, and told them I would not sign anything until the inspection was done.

My wife was inside the dealership while this was going on and saw more than one couple led into the office for paperwork, then coming back in an hour later stating there was a problem with their "new" trailer. They were told the trailer would have to be scheduled for warranty repair. Bad dealer? Perhaps, but I don't believe they are alone in doing business this way.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
brulaz

After mailing in my lengthy complaint, we got a call from Mr. Hulsey himself, suggesting I contact him or Ed to work through the problems. After that phone call I got a package from Ed with some sink clamps a few other itmes that I needed.

I later sent another letter with more complaints/requests and very quickly got back a new wall lamp and grey waste pipe bracket.

That I'm doing the repairs myself may have something to do with their response. AFAIK there is not yet a Canadian dealer of the Elkmont series.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
After mailing in my lengthy complaint, we got a call from Mr. Hulsey himself, suggesting I contact him or Ed to work through the problems. After that phone call I got a package from Ed with some sink clamps a few other itmes that I needed.

I later sent another letter with more complaints/requests and very quickly got back a new wall lamp and grey waste pipe bracket.

That I'm doing the repairs myself may have something to do with their response. AFAIK there is not yet a Canadian dealer of the Elkmont series.
Considering that we just had warranty repairs made to the tune of over $ 5000.00, and that at the dealers discount to TM, I am very certain that the reason you are getting such good service is that you are doing everything yourself. The dealer charges $ 105.00/Hr, and they usually gives the manufacturer a 10% discount on labor.

I used to get better customer service at Montgomery Ward and they folded because of poor customer service, so go figure.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
all4camping

Default TM for single lady

I purchased my 2006 TM2619 spring of '07 and my first REAL voyage was from Chattanooga, TN to Yellowstone, N.P. I pull with a Ford Exp Sport' 03/ 2dr and did not want to get another vehicle since this one is paid for. Of course I was camping every night until I got to Fishing Village where I was camping for a week, and the camping in a different place every night make me think about a few things: how much of an inconvenience will you consider it to set up the camper several nights in a row - depending upon how long you plan to drive beforehand and how tired you are will make a difference. I drove 8 hrs, it was summer so there was ample light (MOST times) to setup. I planned ahead (brought or had the next meal upon arrival)and did not have to disconnect from the tow so that was a plus. I was mostly just stopping to rest and sleep before the next days drive so I did not put up the cabinets, drawers, etc. that I had sitting in the floor in front of the fold down table - I ate outside OR set the stuff on counter space if I HAD to use the floor space. If not, I just crawled into bed and the break down and getting on the road the next day went very quickly. Now, I'm 52 and single so I, too, looked for the camper I could "handle on my own". I have no regrets since I was not going to purchase another tow vehicle. IF I had a larger tow vehicle (like my brother's Chevy Tahoe) I would have considered a small travel trailer for the ease of setup and getting inside upon arrival (in case of bad weather, arrival after dark whatever) BUT I love how my TM 2619 tows and I've learned to back into sites with ease and accuracy (takes practice). My brother has a 26 ft. Outback tt and really, I can set up almost as fast as he can. His biggest advantage is that he can get into his trailer anytime and can leave his refrig plugged in while not camping. I have to "pop up" to get inside and unpack a few things or at least rearrange. You can do it! It's still much easier than a traditional pop-up with canvas. I go somewhere every month. There will be some repair and adjustment issues along the way - but don't worry - between the forum folks and the manufacturer you will be fine! I love my TM 2619!

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote