TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Sierra Shadow

Default Windy conditions

We live in an area that is extremely windy. Our Trailmanor is oriented so that the prevailing winds hit the front rock guard. But now that we are installing a 30 amp panel on our house, we want to orient it closer to the panel. This will mean that we have to orient it perpendicular to how it is now. I am actually concerned that the wind could blow it over. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to simply add a little more stability. And we would also like something for when we are camping and the wind blows up. Wind is the worst problem with weather in the Southern California desert.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
P and B

We've been in a Nor Easer where they evacuated us. TM was fine. I'd say winds were 50 to 70 MPH in bursts. I think if you keep all of the jacks down snug you wouldn't have an issues.

It is creepy to be in any light RV in heavy winds period.

Phil
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Sierra Shadow

Thanx Phil,

Yes, it certainly is. It really terrifies me and the dogs but for some reason my wife seems less concerned. And...uh...50 MPH winds here are called a breeze. The worst we have seen is 103 MPH. And it didn't even make the news! I feel cheated somehow. Huge trees were blown into yards 3 houses down. I know there is nothing that will stop that from damaging my TM but fortunately there are no big trees upwind from us. I am even considering parking the truck as close and down wind at possible and putting an arm of some kind between them. The truck is not going anywhere in the wind!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Joseph

Default Kempert

If memory serves, and sometimes it does not, we have a member that goes by the handle of Kempert. He used to spend summers working for the National Forest folks, or similar, and I seem to remember him being in some windy conditions. Might want to search for him on the member list and drop him a line. Or maybe his posts. Not sure how much he checks the forum as last I heard he and his TM were involved in an accident. Worth a shot though. Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We took up to ~50 mph from the fringe of Hurricane Rita, with no problem except nerves. http://southpointforty.blogspot.com/...bin-fever.html
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Sierra Shadow

Thanx Joseph,

He is not only still active but it says he is online right now. So I sent him a message. Do those tires you have on your TM allow you to drive any faster? I drive way too fast with the original equipment tires.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Shadow View Post
Thanx Joseph,

He is not only still active but it says he is online right now. So I sent him a message. Do those tires you have on your TM allow you to drive any faster? I drive way too fast with the original equipment tires.
Don't worry.....you won't be doing that for long....

I'd be a LOT more concerned about that then 50MPH winds. We have been in 50MPH winds while fully set-up and camping.

As long as the trailer is folded down, you should be OK in anything short of a tornado.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Bluegrass

We're at Verdi, Nevada right now. Winds are 35 - 40 mph with gusts to 50. It's noisey and we rock a bit but the TM seems stable.

Keith
Old 06-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
lederhos
Site Sponsor

If faced with a particularly windy forecast, you may consider filling the fresh water tank and hot water heater for added peace of mind. Between my 40 gal fresh water tank and the water heater, I can add nearly 400lbs of additional weight to my trailer.
Tekonsha Brake Controller
Equalizer WD Hitch/w sway control
lederhos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Joseph

Default No speeding..:)

The tires I am experimenting with are not trailer tires. They are basically class D 14 inch truck tires that are used in Europe more so than here. They are not speed limited like most true trailer tires. If I remember right my Marathons were not supposed to go over 65 mph. However I do remember something about adding 10 psi to them to get that 65 mph limit up a bit. There is a very good post from Bill with a link to the Marathon tire data. I forget exactly how fast the tires I have are rated for. Having said that I do not tow over 70 mph. And that speed only in good driving conditions, on the straight and level, with lots of stopping space between me and the driver in front. My rig feels stable at that speed under those conditions. I put the class D tires on not to go faster. But to give a little weight cushion. As Mr. Adventure is so fond of saying ( just messing with you MR. A.. ) and I paraphrase here . . .

It not how fast you can pull your TM that counts... but how fast can you stop it?

Be safe all the time.