TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
rumbleweed

- QUOTE" The big V8 may be rated for more tow than the smaller one, but it doesn't rate any more "stop."

This is not exactly true. A big V8 designed to tow 7000 lbs is equipped with a braking system capable of stopping 7000 extra lbs. A smaller TV with a lower towing capacity will have a lower stopping capacity. May not make a difference much of the time, but when the family of deer run in front of you even at 45mph you will be glad you have the big V8. Unless I am mistaken most of us tow our TM to places where we are more likely than not to see deer and other large animals in the road.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #32
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Brakes

It's very possible you're right, of course, but I won't be convinced until I see that they stock different part numbers for the brake parts for the same vehicle with different engines and therefore different tow ratings. When they figure this stuff for weight ratings, it's not just safety. It's also marketing, durability and warranties that are parts of the equation, hence the higher ratings for more engine power.

Think about it: stopping is road, tires, antilock braking sensors/software/hardware, and of course the common brake wear parts. What manufacturer would want to defend a personal injury claim if there was a perfectly compatible set of brake parts in the product line that's 30% better, costs them about the same, but which they decided not to use? How about the liabilities in a different case where some dealer puts the 6000# rated pads on the vehicle that needed the 8000# pads because they didn't notice some option group that went with the engine number (or happened to be out of the right ones, and these happened to fit)?

I'd bet that manufacturers use the same brakes in most versions of the same vehicle as much as they can, just to avoid these hassles and the extra part numbers to engineer, manufacture, and stock.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #33
Al-n-Sue

maybe - but I know that my Durango with the trailer towing package has bigger brakes - I think 10" rotors instead of 9" - than the same model (i.e. same V8) w/o the trailer towing package. I also have a heavier duty battery, a higher output alternator, a larger radiator, and a tranny cooler. All these are specified as part of the trailer towing package. Other manufacturers may differ, but I've found this to be ture on several Chrysler models.
my .02 worth.
Alan
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #34
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
It's very possible you're right, of course, but I won't be convinced until I see that they stock different part numbers for the brake parts for the same vehicle with different engines and therefore different tow ratings. When they figure this stuff for weight ratings, it's not just safety. It's also marketing, durability and warranties that are parts of the equation, hence the higher ratings for more engine power.

Think about it: stopping is road, tires, antilock braking sensors/software/hardware, and of course the common brake wear parts. What manufacturer would want to defend a personal injury claim if there was a perfectly compatible set of brake parts in the product line that's 30% better, costs them about the same, but which they decided not to use? How about the liabilities in a different case where some dealer puts the 6000# rated pads on the vehicle that needed the 8000# pads because they didn't notice some option group that went with the engine number (or happened to be out of the right ones, and these happened to fit)?

I'd bet that manufacturers use the same brakes in most versions of the same vehicle as much as they can, just to avoid these hassles and the extra part numbers to engineer, manufacture, and stock.
I can tell you that in GM products, this is certainly true and I would imagine it to be true in other manufacturers as well. The exception is when they have a "HD" (heavy duty) option. They may well include a larger engine and larger brakes. In that case, the parts catolog would list a HD or standard option when purchasing replacement parts.

My truck is an example of that. My truck was built with a "Fuel economy option" that include the smaller (4.8L) V8 as apposed to the std 5.8L. When I purchased brake pads, the only thing that was designated as an optional part was the "HD 1500". No mention of engine size.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #35
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The Toyota Tacoma is a perfect example, with about 15 different equipment choices for 2010, offering towing capacities ranging from 3500# to over 10,000#. But here's what's offered for front brake pads:
(source, one of many: https://www.toyotapartscenter.net/to...comaparts.html)

Description Year Your Price
Front pads, tacoma 05-10 $50.39
(in other words, one set of front brake pads appears to fit every Tacoma made in the last 5 years)

Regarding the 2001 Dodge Durango, This looks like it might be one size fits all, but I really don't know the vehicle. If you need different brake pads for Durangos with tow packages, these people don't seem to be telling you about it:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ue=Performance)
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote