TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
PopBeavers

Default What tires for the truck (TV)

There are a lot of threads discussing tries for the TM, but I need to replace the tires on my truck. I have not been happy with the two previous tires.

2002 Chevy 1500HD crew cab, 6.5 foot bed, 6.0 gas, 4x4. We bought it used with Dunlop M+S tires, but because I drive in the snow on ski trips I wanted a more aggressive pattern.

I switched to Yokohama Geolander. They have a more aggressive patter that I like but they did not last as long as I think the should have. They also seem to wiggle on the highway when not towing if I let some air out.

I run 55 psi in the front at all times. I run 75 psi in the rear when towing or loaded heavy but deflate to 60 psi when running light, either solo or two adults and one suitcase.

The back of the truck seems to wander in the lane. I attribute this to the softness of the sidewall. If I inflate the tires to where the wiggle stops then it feels like it is bouncing hard on every bump of the road. You can really feel it in the back seat of the truck.

My other truck, GMC 2500HD long bed, still has the factory Bridgestones and they do not have this problem. But, I don't like the tread pattern on that either.

A friend has recommend one of the Wranglers, but he says there is more than one to choose from and he has no other information.

Everything is a trade off: how long the tread will last, softness of the ride, traction. Price is not my biggest problem.

The Chevy is now my daily driver. I also tow the ATV trailer with it (2,200 pounds). I sometimes tow the TM 2720 with it. I sometimes use it to visit Lake Tahoe in the winter for the weekend. I sometimes drive on forest roads in the spring and will encounter snow and mud on the dirt roads.

I have no plans to ever intentionally tow in the snow, but sometimes you miscalculate the weather forecast.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I just went through this same decision process for our Jeep Cherokee, with the idea that if I was happy with the tires on that vehicle, I will probably get them for our TV.

We ended up getting a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires -- they are pricey, but price was not my primary concern. Plus, there was a $70 rebate on a set of 4, which actually made them comparable. They are noticeably quieter and smoother riding than the old set, which was a mid-priced Discount Tire brand I cannot remember.

I bought them from a mom & pop place and had them installed there too. Better pricing and WAY better service than the chain places I've been to over the years. Plus, I was leaving the place within 30 min tops of pulling into the garage. Top notch service.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Wayne,

My current favorite truck tire is the Mastercraft Courser HTR. I have no tracking problems at lower pressures with this tire and it is 10 ply (I think) rated i.e. good for hauling/towing. There is an A/T (mud/snow) version of this same tire if you need it. I have been running the A/T's on the rear and HTR's on the front of my F250. I think that next tire replacement I'll go with HTR's all the way around since I don't really need the mud grips on the rear, I think the HTR's will be aggressive enough. Both the A/T and HTR tires are quiet on pavement.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
gocntry

I Have A '05 Chevy Tahoe (1500).

I Currently Have The Nitto Terra Grapplers In A 10 Ply Rating On My Truck. Had Them Since July.

Have Nothing Bad To Say About These. Towed The TM With Them & Had Them Out In A Bad (Fun To Me) Snowstorm And They Work As I Had Hoped / Expected.

The Wifey Runs The Same Tires Or Her FJ Cruiser And Hasn't Had Any Problems Either.