TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Leveling on uneven ground - best method??

Quote:
Regarding "Don't back onto leveling blocks, as it will damage your transmission"  Baloney!! Power or torque is determined by the gear ratio and REVERSE is geared a heck of a lot lower than 1st gear. Most vehicles will go 25 to 30 mph or even faster in 1st gear, try that in reverse, it ain't gonna happen!!
Gotta agree.  This sounds like one of those scary urban legends that make no sense when you think about it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
DancinCampers

Default Re: Leveling on uneven ground - best method??

Good day all,

I have used a leveling block I made many years ago from 2x6 treated lumber.  It provided 3 levels, each with a beveled edge.  In fact I made 2 of them & still use them at home to change oil in our wagon.

On our trip last month to the Jubilee I decided to change my approach.  I needed a jack to use for changing the TM tire if needed, so I bought a 4 ton bottle jack (about $11).  I used this jack to raise the low side.  I put it under the frame just in front of the tire & pump the handle till Sharon says its level.  This will change the level from front to rear slightly so I readjust that using the tongue jack.  I then adjust the corner stabilizers.  and finally I put a screw stabilizer under the frame on the opposite side of the bottle jack.  This provides 6 point stabilization, (Actually 7 counting the tongue jack) and TM does not move.

I have added the factory lift kit & so I cut a 1x4 piece of treated lumber into 4 inch lengths to use under the corner stabilizers & 6 inch lengths to use under the center jacks.  

BTW, the manual I received with the TM outlines this procedure (minus the 6th jack), using a scissors jack on the low side.  I had no problem with the hydraulic bottle jack.

Dan