TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
whbob

Default Equalizer Brand Weight Distributing Hitch

I have a 2720. Is anyone using this brand of weight distributing hitch? Is there an advantage over Reese and other brands?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
viking

I have the Equalizer brand WDH. In the two years I have had it I have been very happy with how it works. It is easy to hook up and built strong. It has a built in sway control but due to the construction of the TM to not sway as much as other trailers I don't know how valuable this is. I believe the Equalizer is more expensive than the other WDH. I do not have experience with Reese or other brands so I will let others comment on them.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
whbob

Default Equalizer Hitch

Did you get your Equalizer hitch locally or via the internet? Self install?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
viking

I got it from the dealer and he did the initial install. When I got a new Jeep I had to redo everything and I did it myself. If you are at all handy and can read instructions you should be able to do it. The only gotcha is that the sockets that you need to install it are larger than the standard socket set usually has. You can get the wrench for the install at Wal Mart for $9.00 in the automotive section where they sell hitch balls. The sockets can be bought at Northern Frieght (you could even try Harbor Freight) for less money than other stores ($12 to $15)
Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
viking

You can also check out the Equalizer web site for a installation video and if that is not enough check out You Tube. I had one question and I called the 800 number for Equalizer customer service that was in the installation manual and they did a good job of helping me.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
whbob

Default Equal-i-zer WDHitch

I got the pdf install fill off of the factory site. RV Parts Country in Kentucky is selling the 1000\10000 with shank for 449. As soon as I am able to get my TM hitch measurement and determine if the standard shank will do and determine if I can add the optional heavy-duty spring from Ford, I will decide either to order the hitch or the spring. Spring will be simpler and cleaner, but hitch would better balance the front to rear weight of the trailer hitch - this may or may not be much of an significant issue given the size of the tow vehicle. Presently, I have no sway problem.