TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
macdasher

Default Tires, Rims, and Brake Maintenance

Howdy all,

Getting ready to replace all 3 tires and looking at the prices it's not that much more to replace the rims as well.

So, any advantages to galvanized over painted (worth it?)?

Is it okay for a 2001 2720 to go from 14" to 15" tires (I think yes)?

I see the Goodyear Marathons are popular so I'll look that direction.

Finally, since I'm pulling off the tires I figure I might as well take a look at the brakes. Since I've not looked at these before (trailer bought used) and assume no one did anything to them. What spare parts might I like to have on hand so I'm ready for action (like magnets or the like)?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I'm your typical shadetree mechanic with the right tools and patience.

Mac
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Redhawk

I'm not the expert, so i can't answer most of your questions, they will be along as soon as they finish their bratwurst I'm sure.

But if you read the posts concerning the Goodyear Marathon tires on these forums, I would think they would be your last choice.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

IMHO, there's no reason to buy galvanized rims for a travel trailer since you're not dunking them in salt water. Save those for the boat trailer.

To service the brakes, buy the entire brake assembly (shoes, magnet, spring, backing plate, etc.) as a kit. They are about $30 per wheel and although just slightly more expensive than buying either the shoes or the magnet (which may both have to be replaced), they save you alot of time and effort. All you have to do is remove the 4 backing plate bolts, cut the old wires, and the old ones are off. Reverse the process to install the new assemblies. I bought mine at easternmarine.com, where they are often on sale.

If you replace the magnets, you will need new drums since the armature surface cannot be machined. Any shop can do the surface where the shoes rub against, but the half dozen specialty shops I called don't do the armature. Drums aren't expensive...maybe $30/wheel. Since I live near LA, there is a Dexter distributor about 25 miles away, which is where I bought them.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
mtnguy

If you are pulling, cleaning, checking, and regreasing the bearings, go on a get new rear grease seals before hand......I haven't even been able to remove those puppies without doing some damage.