TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Eutychus

Default We are using a Ford van E-350

Our family will take possession of our TM in two days. We plan to tow it with our Ford extended 12 passenger van. It has plenty of towing capacity for the TM. A couple of years ago, when we knew nothing of the TM, we went to a typical RV sales lot and watched the salesman begin to drool hoping we would leave with a trailer in tow.

The only problem we have had so far in trying to get ready to tow the TM is what we can do for the mirrors. There are neat mirror extensions for pickup trucks but I can't find any for our van.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:We are using a Ford van E-350

I have found the McKesh mirrors to be tops, we tried all the slip ons, clip ons, belt ons and found them all wanting. The McKesh are about $100 and slip on and off with ease, give great vision, and very little vibration.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Eutychus

Thanks Windbreaker. I have just ordered the McKesh mirrors on your recommendation.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
Eutychus

After our first trip there are a few things I would want to add.

We are a family of six with three parents that sometimes travel with us on our day trips. So we bought the 12 passenger van but chose the small V8 and the differential for better economy. The van by itself, even fully loaded, has never felt underpowered.

We have the 3124KB (so we can sleep six to ten depending what we do with the king bed and couches). We headed to the hills for our first trip and I was surprised at the substantial loss of speed going up hills. The engine was clearly working very hard to keep the speed up. I bellyached about the loss of speed and Kelly replied that a lot of people are towing these with V6's; we just need to get use to going slower up hills. And I was ready to go shop for a new V10. ;D
Old 08-23-2003, 01:38 PM   #5
Windbreaker

I'm willing to bet you never loaded it with 4000 extra lbs plus wind resistance before. Most likely what is slowing you down is the rearend not the engine.

FYI the V10s are haveing problems blowing out spark plugs, not at all sure I would consider one of those. However, Ford has put out a diesel matched with a transmission that blows the socks off of everything else on the road. I'll give it a year or two to prove itself then buy one if it lives up to the hype.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
Eutychus

Windbreaker, I bet you are right... I have often been told it is the lead in my rearend that makes me go slow, makes sense it effects the van too. I looked at the new diesel you mentioned. Wow! Once I pay off the TM I need to start saving my pennies for a new TV.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Your Ford dealer or a transmission shop could change the rear end to a higher-ratio unit (maybe something like a 3.73?) for a cost that won't hurt too much. It will lower your fuel economy a bit, but not much - and the reduced strain on your engine and transmission will probably make it pay for itself.

BTW, Windy is right - you'll love those McKesh mirrors.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Your Ford dealer or a transmission shop could change the rear end to a higher-ratio unit (maybe something like a 3.73?) for a cost that won't hurt too much. It will lower your fuel economy a bit, but not much - and the reduced strain on your engine and transmission will probably make it pay for itself.
Bill
As big and heavy as this series of van is, if you're not running AT LEAST 3.73's, it's not recommended for towing.
(Some info shows 3.92's to be the lowest ratio possible for towing.)
According to Ford's site, if you're running the 5.4L v8 with standard 3.55 gears, you shouldn't tow anything.
As Bill suggests, going with 3.73's or 4.10's will definitely help, and may actually INCREASE gas mileage while towing. (You'll probably suffer slightly when not towing.)
Without knowing what engine you're running, I can't quote for sure, but IF you have the 5.4L with 3.73's, the Ford website gives you at least a 6500 capacity. Even with this, going with 4.10's would give you more "grunt" and you will be able to maintain speed on the hills better.

I'm in the same boat.... my Astro has 3.23's which is not recommended for towing. By simply going to 3.42 or 3.73's, I'll get 5000 or 5500 respectively. Other Astro users have actually reported getting the same towing mileage after going from 3.42's to 4.10's, but now have much more "grunt".