TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
mtnguy

Bill, it is surprising how the weights change. Those weights wouldn't be quite that dramatic in just using a regular hitch, since the WDH weighs 65 lbs. itself, and you could place a regular hitch a little closer to the reciever.........but I betcha it would still be pretty close to those loses & gains.

Mr Adventure, the difference of the truck weight when weighed by itself, and the truck weight with the trailer attached (but the trailer wheels off of the scale) equals the tongue weight.

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
PopBeavers

Thanks for the details. I will digest it when I have more time. I'll dig out what little data I have on my setup in case anyone wants to compare notes.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

It's impressive that 480 pounds of tongue weight can take 220 pounds off of the front axle when you're not using the WDH. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much, and it reinforces the idea that a WDH is pretty darned important for our heavier tongue weights.

Thanks for sharing all those good numbers!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
It's impressive that 480 pounds of tongue weight can take 220 pounds off of the front axle when you're not using the WDH. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much, and it reinforces the idea that a WDH is pretty darned important for our heavier tongue weights.

Thanks for sharing all those good numbers!
........and that it can add 700 lbs. to the rear axle. Leverage raises it's ugly head for travel trailer towing.

Y'all are welcome for those numbers.

Chap
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
Benaslopok

Very interesting , Guys,, But I'm confused.. We bought our 2720SL new in 2003 and has only a single axle and 14" tires.. Any way I figure, we're overweight.. Haven't been on scales like Wayne suggest's, but figuring here now , I'm over !! I replaced tires last summer to stay ahead of any trouble.. By the way, how much tire pressure on this one , nobody seems to agree !!

Ben

2003 Silverado 4.8 w/Hipertech computer (awsome)
2002 2720SL
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Thanks for the details. I will digest it when I have more time. I'll dig out what little data I have on my setup in case anyone wants to compare notes.
I don't often get a chance to quote myself...

The recent post to this thread go my attention.

I never did dig out the numbers, but two numbers from the one time that I weighed it really stuck in my mind.

Be aware that I loaded the TM with everything I thought I might ever take in the future. I was trying to simulate a worst case scenario. Besides 46 gallons of water, and the obvious food and dishes, I also had on the TM floor:

6 camp chairs
2 lounge chairs
3 outdoor camping tables
1 free standing awning with sides. This thing must be 80 pounds
Honda 2000 generator
plus some other stuff that I can not longer recall. The floor was full.

The two interesting things I remember vividly were:

1. The TM axle weight was 3380. That is 120 below the factory limit.
2. The weight of the three axles, two on the truck and one on the TM were within 100 pounds of each other. Pretty close.

I did not weigh the tongue. Assuming that the tongue weight was in the 10 to 15 percent range, then my best guess is that the total TM weight was 4,100 pounds. If anyone has a TM 2720 that weighs more than that then they must have loaded their rock collection.

FWIW, on many occasions I have reported here that I had no need for a WDH, because my Chevy 1500HD was such a large tow vehicle it could handle it. Sag at the rear bumper of the truck was about 5/8 inch. Rise at the front bumper was 1/2 inch.

I finally managed to get the truck to sag more than I liked. Besides all the stuff I always carried, I added a motorcycle (280 pounds) 5 gallons of gas for the motorcycle, more tools, because of the motorcycle, way more cases of soda, beer and water, because it was a 3 day weekend and we had 4 additional adults joining us and I bought all the supplies.

Though a WD hitch would have solved the sag problem, I was unhappy that our new two person ATV (Polaris Sportsman 700 X2) was too long. 8 feet of ATV does not fit in a 6.5 foot truck bed. So we kept the Chevy and purchased a GMC 2500HD long bed. I can now carry the same load, but I am back to very little sag. How's that for a high cost solution to a low cost problem.

On that trip where I had more sag than I liked, we had a blow out with a Marathon. We were certainly running heavy, but I do not think I was over 3500 on the TM axle.

After an hour of driving we made a rest stop. I checked the TM tire temperature and bearing temperature with the back of my hand. It seemed fine. I inspected the TM tires as best as I could and saw nothing unusual.

One hour later we hit a pothole one the freeway. DW was driving. For some reason unknown to me, she was driving faster than I would have. I normally stay at 55-60. She was running 60-65. I had a bad leg and could not drive. I was not about to lecture the boss about her driving skills.

One hour later the curbs side tire blew. We heard the pop. I said "blow out, pull over to the side as quickly as is safe." DW did a fine job of that. Everything was stable. If the radio had been on we would not have heard the pop and would not have know about the failure until DW saw smoke in the mirrors, and since she does not watch the mirrors as often as I do, that might have been awhile.

Contributing factors:

Tires had been in use for 3 years
Tires were 4 years old
Driving a little fast
Towing right at the weight limit
July 4 2008 was HOT in the California Central Valley. Probably close to 100F.
Hitting the pothole and not thinking to stop for a tire inspection.

I no longer have Marathons. I now have Tow Masters. Taht was what I could get when I wanted them. So far, so good.

I think I posted weights of my truck axles in the past, but that would have been the fully loaded weight. I have never weighed the truck by itself, so I have no idea how much the weight changes by adding the TM. I'm too lazy to look up my own post, but if someone is curious I think I would have posted it in the summer of 2005, the first year we had the TM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benaslopok View Post
Very interesting , Guys,, But I'm confused.. We bought our 2720SL new in 2003 and has only a single axle and 14" tires.. Any way I figure, we're overweight.. Haven't been on scales like Wayne suggest's, but figuring here now , I'm over !! I replaced tires last summer to stay ahead of any trouble.. By the way, how much tire pressure on this one , nobody seems to agree !!

Ben

2003 Silverado 4.8 w/Hipertech computer (awsome)
2002 2720SL
The max tire pressure is marked on the tire sidewall. That pressure is "Cold" pressure. It is important to inflate the tires to the max listed on the tire if you are concerned about the weight. Load range "C" tires really are marginal for a 2720SL fully loaded and max tire pressure is important for tire performance.

If you have never replaced the tires, it is time to do so. Trailer tires tend to fail at about 5-6 years. If your TM is a 2003, your tires may well be 2002 or earlier (at least 7 years old). Tread depth means very little on trailer tires. It's all about age and rubber rot.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Lots of times I don't like reality, but I have learned to respect it over the years. The ONLY way to know where you're overweight is the truck scale. Get numbers for each axle in your normal hitched position, and the TV by itself separately, and then you'll be sure about some real good things to know.

The tricky part is that tongue weight is trailer weight that rides on the TV, not the trailer's axle. That is, of course, until you crank up the WDH which transfers tongue weight forward to the TV front axle and aft to the trailer axle as it removes load from the rear axle of the TV. Balancing axle loads with the WDH and distributing vehicle loads are pretty important for safe towing.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote