TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
cimsue

Default towing 2720SL with 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Have been reading the past threads. Am really learning alot but soooo much more needed. WE are presently in the process of buying a used 06 2720SL. Please tell me if I have this correct. After much researc, I found the GCWR of Jeep to be 7500#. Dry weight of TM 2865# and dry weight of Jeep 3669#. Therefore, we can add only add 966# more to total weight with only 796# of this going into the TM. Does this sound correct? And the dry weight of the trailer does not include AC/heater, any upgrades such as extra cabinets, microwave, fans, etc. Correct?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimsue View Post
Have been reading the past threads. Am really learning alot but soooo much more needed. WE are presently in the process of buying a used 06 2720SL. Please tell me if I have this correct. After much researc, I found the GCWR of Jeep to be 7500#. Dry weight of TM 2865# and dry weight of Jeep 3669#. Therefore, we can add only add 966# more to total weight with only 796# of this going into the TM. Does this sound correct? And the dry weight of the trailer does not include AC/heater, any upgrades such as extra cabinets, microwave, fans, etc. Correct?
That's pretty much correct. Just remember, that 966# includes passengers, fuel, all of your camping gear and all of your "Extras" on the TM.

This is one of the things that annoys me about TM marketing.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
rumbleweed

Wink

I recommend towing with OD off. I have a 00 Grand Cherokee and towed a motorcycle trailer (about 2700lbs with bikes). There is a non metal (poor design) check valve in the transmission cooler lines that can melt shut if the trans gets too hot. That means no aux cooling and trans trouble. You will use more gas, but save a transmission repair. I also recommend synthetic trans fluid and rear diff lube. If you change rear diff oil, don't forget to add limited slip additive if not in the product you use. Both of these will provide a little extra margin of safety and peace of mind.
Bob
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Use the Search tool on the term "Jeep" or "Cherokee" to find posts by RockyMtnRay. As you would gather from his name, he did a lot of high-altitude towing in the Rockies. If I recall correctly, he had a Grand Cherokee in front of his 2720-SL, and gave up on it. I've forgotten the details - it was a few years ago - but as I recall it was a handling issue (wheelbase) rather than a power issue. Ray was our resident towing expert. His posts, especially regarding mountain towing, were quite valuable.

A lot of it depends on the answer to my eternal question - WHERE do you plan to tow?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
cimsue

well, from what I am reading, it looks as though our plans for the mountain trips will be on hold until we purchase a truck. I have to admit I naively fell for the TM ads and should have researched for myself more. I am looking forward to the "flat" trips to the beach though. Thanks for the input. You can be looking for many more questions from me.

Sue
Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Sue,
I don't know your vehicle. Durability and safety are the key issues in manufacturer's ratings. Both improve dramatically if you travel a little lighter, tow a little slower, and drive with care and attention.

People use these trailers very differently. If you live in the mountains, carry a lot of gear, and camp in the high altitude boondocks with gasoline powered recreational toys, you need more tow vehicle than if you're somebody whose visits to higher elevations are extremely occasional.

I would start easy, try some things, and see how it goes before I'd give up on a vehicle that's nominally within the specs.

Welcome to the family!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
rumbleweed

Sue

I will echo Mr. Adventure's comments. There are no hard and fast rules as long as you stay withing the mfgrs specs. My suggestion is cautious experimentation and see if both you and your TV are happy. I would plan gradually tougher trips while continually monitoring your TV's reaction ( both pulling and stopping) and make your decision then. As I mentioned earlier, I recommend a good vehicle monitor system so you know what is going on while you can still take the necessary actions to avoid major problems.

Bob
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Al-n-Sue

What are the specs on the Jeep? Engine size, transmission (4x2 or 4x4), etc? What part of the cournty are you in (i.e. will you be towing on flat lands or in the mountains)?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The 1st post pretty well says it all, as far as specs.

The problem with having a vehicle that is marginal (which this vehicle is below marginal), figuring that you will use it on flatlands, is that it only takes one trip to the mountains to have a serious problem and end up in big trouble on the way down a steep grade with inadequate braking.

Hey........their is no doubt that the Grand Cherokee can safely tow a TM, as advertised. However, if you want to take it camping.......that's a whole different story because then you will have to add passengers, fuel, cargo etc. That can add thousands of pounds to the burden on the TV. Suddenly the TV that can tow an empty TM with only a 100# driver and 5G of gas doesn't look quite as safe.