TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
KenetteK

Default Another Explorer question (split thread)

I am also interested in anything those towing with an Explorer can tell me. I am not yet a TM owner, but will be next year. My TV is a 1999 Explorer 5.0L V-8 4WD. I currently just have the hitch on the bumper, and am told I will need to upgrade to a receiver hitch, add something for weight balance and trailer brake controller, etc..... My TM of choice is the 2620SL, and I am very excited to join all you TM owners out there. I will be by myself, so I'm gonna need some extra help... pulled utility trailer w/ATV's and dirt bikes on it, but nothing like a TT. I've going to fulltime it in a couple of years, and will need to learn all the maintenance tips so I can keep my TM in the best shape possible. My husband could virtually fix anything, but I'm a newbie at this, and hoping his spirit will guide my hand in my future adventure. I am compiling information gained from these forums together in a "TM maintenance" folder so by the time I get my TM I'll know what to do! So I'm going to need lots of help and information! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
KenetteK

See how much help I need? I didn't even realize It's the 2720SL I'm going to get! Duh!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We don't own an explorer...so can't help you there. Just wanted to wish well on your search and camping adventure KenetteK! You go girl!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

KennetteK -

I'm sure you've read it already, but yes, you will need to add a "real" hitch to your Explorer. This means, as you said, a Class III/IV hitch receiver that is solidly bollted to the frame. Any hitch shop can do it, and I've come to the conclusion that U-Haul isn't bad. Then you'll need to get a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) to plug into the receiver. There are many good brands available - Reese and Draw-Tite are common, reasonably priced, and very good. I suggest buying what is called a trunnion hitch with about an 800-pound rating.

You do not need to start out with a sway control, and probably never will need it.

If your Explorer doesn't have a 7-pin electrical connector at the rear bumper (and it sounds like it doesn't), you'll have to have a mechanic add one. This connector carries power to the lights on the TM (running lights on the body, as well as brake lights, parking lights, and backup lights). It also carries power to the trailer's electric brakes, which you must have hooked up, and a charge line to the trailer's battery.

As you say, you will need a brake controller. For someone new to trailering, I think Prodigy is the way to go. They are not too expensive ($100-150), easy to install and use, and very good in terms of function. There are other controllers on the market, some as cheap as $50. Don't get one of the cheap ones.

Your Explorer will also need an auxiliary transmission cooler if you plan to tow anywhere other than flat land.

You'll need a set of extension mirrors. Many members (including me) are partial to McKesh mirrors, which can be had for about $100 a pair. There are less expensive mirrors, but in my opinion they don't stick out far enough to do the job. We had a pretty good discusiion here, I think
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658
and you can find others by Searching on the term "CIPA".

All of this is going to be a bit pricey, and your Explorer isn't new. If you have any thoughts about getting a new vehicle, now might be a good time to do so (especially since SUVs have gotten so cheap nowadays). If you go this route, be sure to get one with a factory-installed towing package.

And feel free to come on back here for any and all questions. The members of this board are fantastically helpful, and every question is important.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote