TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
LittleRhodey

Default WDH or not?

We just bought the new Honda Pilot 4WD with 4500 pound towing capacity. When I was reading the manual last night, I read that we should not use a WDH with our car. Since we bought the hitch with the WDH assembly, we already have it. For our first run, should we try it without the WDH? Or with it?

Thanks in advance for your learned opinions.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
mtnguy

If it were me, I think I would check with your Honda dealer for an explanation on why the manufacturer advises against using a WDH.....you definitantly don't want to void your warranty on a brand new vehicle. I am a believer in using a WDH, especially with lighter TVs. The tongue weight on my loaded 2720 approaches 500 lbs, and that is quite a lot for lighter vehicles, and probably more that the weight carrying capacity of a lot of hitches. Hopefully, some Honda Pilot owners will chime in here.

Chap
Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Queeniereads

I agree with finding out WHY. ANything for safety! You always have to prepare for the emergency -- the bad road, the blowout, the gust of wind, the bad driver....
Queen
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Smile Pilot w/ WDH

Pilot owner here...using a WDH too. There is much discussion on the topic (Pilots and other unibody vehicles with WDH) so the search tool will provide you more but I don't think you will find an definitive answer -- even from Honda. You will have to do your research and make your own decision.
That said...a couple thoughts in no particular order, on what lead me to my decison.
1) My Pilot towing a 2720SL TM without WDH would be dangerous as the front end gets too light.
2) I decided, after research here and other sites, that the limitation by Honda is probably a liability disclaimer meant to protect Honda from someone that unwittingly cranks to much on the WDH and breaks their car.
2a) The "buckled car" seems to be an urban myth...I have yet to find someone that has personally seen or experienced it.
3) I have weighed my rig with various numbers of links dropped on the WDH so I know that I am not overloading the axles on the TV or TM.
4) My Pilot is an '04 4WD and has a 3,500/4,500 limit based on trailer or boat...I choose to use 4,000 for the TM due to the reduced profile/wind resistance.
5) We travel "semi-light" and with only two of us in the Pilot and, other than slowing down on multi-mile 5% grades (and this because I don't want to abuse the TV), we have no problems.
6) I have >7k miles towing in CA, OR, WA and see no negative impact of the WDH ie sticky windows, crinkled paint, mis-alignment of doors or hatch...

Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
fishpondwest

We tow a 3124KS with our 03 Pilot 4WD vehicle.
I use a Reese WDH and have had no problems with my vehicle. I can't imagine not using a WDH with this vehicle as the tongue weight would be excessive and would raise the front end. I even went so far as to install after market rear shock air lift kit. When towing this allows me to raise the rear end by about 2 inches with the air lift kit and I don't have to put quite as much stress on the vehicle with the WDH.
We've towed back and forth to Texas from California and have made one trip to the East Coast and back as well as shorter runs to Oregon and Northern California. Except for needing to be super careful with braking and down hill driving the only other implication is a lack of power on long uphill grades, especially if they are curvy and you have to lower your speed. In that case just put it in 2 and take your time.
Dan
Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmark View Post
Pilot owner here...using a WDH too. There is much discussion on the topic (Pilots and other unibody vehicles with WDH) so the search tool will provide you more but I don't think you will find an definitive answer -- even from Honda. You will have to do your research and make your own decision.
That said...a couple thoughts in no particular order, on what lead me to my decison.
1) My Pilot towing a 2720SL TM without WDH would be dangerous as the front end gets too light.
2) I decided, after research here and other sites, that the limitation by Honda is probably a liability disclaimer meant to protect Honda from someone that unwittingly cranks to much on the WDH and breaks their car.
2a) The "buckled car" seems to be an urban myth...I have yet to find someone that has personally seen or experienced it.
3) I have weighed my rig with various numbers of links dropped on the WDH so I know that I am not overloading the axles on the TV or TM.
4) My Pilot is an '04 4WD and has a 3,500/4,500 limit based on trailer or boat...I choose to use 4,000 for the TM due to the reduced profile/wind resistance.
5) We travel "semi-light" and with only two of us in the Pilot and, other than slowing down on multi-mile 5% grades (and this because I don't want to abuse the TV), we have no problems.
6) I have >7k miles towing in CA, OR, WA and see no negative impact of the WDH ie sticky windows, crinkled paint, mis-alignment of doors or hatch...

Mark

It is theoretically possible to damage the TV in the process of cranking up a 1000# WDH, but I've never heard of a case actually happening. I did bend a hitch receiver once that was rated for only 350lbs tongue weight (I'd never use anything under 500lbs for a TrailManor). But I can't imagine a WDH not being helpful and important whenever the front fender on the TV rises when hitched. You need a WDH so that it doesn't.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
mrosspa

Use the WDH. It is an investment in safety and a pleasant trip. The small addition of cost and time to install it each time you tow is better than the potential accident you can avoid.