TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
agesilaus

Default Nitrogen experiment

I had the opportunity to use a tank of nitrogen today and purged one tire and filled it with N2. I didn't have any way to pump out the tire and didn't want to drop the pressure too low so I bled it down to about 16-18 psi three times and filled it back to 45 psi with N2 each time. That should have dropped the O2 to about 1% and increased the N2 to 99%.

This is the rear passenger side tire on my 2008 F-150. Tires are basically new with 4500 miles on them. I adjusted the other rear tire to 45 psi air.

My plan it to check them both with an ir thermometer that I got from Harbor Freight. The first trial after 20 miles at highway speeds was 104 F on the air filled tired side wall (checked at 3 places) and 103 F on the N2 filled tire.

Checking the tread temp was 114/112F air/N2

Not too impressive so far. I checked the sidewall temps before doing this and they were within 0.5 F before doing this.

I'll try to remember to check it after towing the TM 70 miles to Suwannee Valley CG tomorrow. I'd like to try it on the TM.

BK