TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
CajunMinnie

Default 06 Nissan Frontier - what can we tow!!

We have an 06 Nissan Frontier short wheelbase. What can we tow safely? We have looked at TT's, but are afraid they are too heavy. I just started looking at the Trailmanors and like them, but which one??

Obviously, we are VERY NEW to this and any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Freedom

Do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6? Is it extended cab or crew cab? 2 wheel drive or 4WD? Standard shift 5 speed, 6 speed or automatic? I can't find anything on a "short wheelbase".
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
CajunMinnie

Hi, sorry I didn't realize I needed to put all that info!! We have a crew cab, v-6, 265hp, 129 inch wheelbase, 5 speed automatic. It is rated to tow 6300 lbs. Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Freedom

This site gives all the specifications on your vehicle. http://www.nissanusa.com/frontier/sp...ions_crew.html
I don't think I would want to tow anything larger than the 2619 or 2720 due to the size of the engine - a 4 liter will do OK on the level, but mountains are a whole new ballgame. From your name I assume you're in the south, so you'd probably be OK as long as you don't go to Colorado. Grill-n-go came up with this site which talks about wheelbase as related to the size of the trailer. http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm According to that you can tow a 24' trailer which would be any of the TMs except the 3326. The 3023 is a very popular model, it has the beds on both ends (queen in the back) and a "living room".
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

In Theory just about any Trailmanor except for 3326 King. You need to deduct tongue weight from payload capacity, whatever is left is for passengers, fuel, toys, and stuff.

Go to http://www.rvtowingtips.com it's a great primer on towing.

I guess Jim is a tad quicker on the "post reply" button

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
CajunMinnie

We won't be going in the mountains at all. We are in Louisiana and the farthest we will go is Disney! I will check out those links. The 3023 is one that I like, but has a lot more sleeping area than we need. I will look at the smaller models.
Thanks again!!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
CajunMinnie

LOL. I am sure my husband will try to keep me as far away from Disney as possible.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
ragmopp

Regarding the towing ability of your Nissan. I have a Tacoma with similar specs as your truck. We purchased a 2720SL just a month or so ago and have towed it with no problems, whatsoever. In fact I doubt that pulling even major hills will be an issue (with one such as the 2720). I live in the Sierras and had to pull the trailer from Sacramento over Donner summit (7200 ft) and was able to cruise over the hill in 5th gear (6 speed trans) with only a couple of times downshifting to 4th. Of course I drive at appx 60 mph so was not stressing the engine much at all. Lastly you will need a WDH. Or at least that is what my dealer told me. As I got it installed with delivery of the trailer I don't know about handling without it. With it on I don't even know the trailer is back there.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #9
ragmopp

Leon,

No snow. They did have a little (6 to 10 inches) around the summit last weekend, but with the weather warming up the roads are clear. Of course, in the mountains you never know what tomorrow will bring so I would always carry chains this time of year.

Mike Anderson

ps. re looking at your post I wonder if you mean is there any snow AROUND Donner. Yes there is. Just that the roads are open and clear. Lousy year for snow for us, we only got 50 to 60% of normal. Could be a loonnng fire year.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
leec

Hello,

We have the same truck as you, other than the fact it is a manual, and pull a 2619 with, in my opinion, no problems here in Colorado where we live. The only thing is we don't go up and over Eisenhower tunnel at 65MPH; however, there are not a lot of people going that speed anyway! In addition, we got between 15-21MPG last year when towing.

Like ragmop, we have a 6 speed tranny and will down shift to keep the speed up in the mountains.

Note, we have a WDH and it is worth every penny to have on the truck. I just finished hauling the trailer to and from an appliance repair person today about an hour away. Other than needing to shift down more than I would w/o the trailer, it was easy to forget it was back there.