TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
2bcs1jrt

actually, I only plan on using them when I store my TM in the driveway where it does get sun on both sides. I use my trailer regularly in spring and fall and sometimes in the summer but it sits unused for a couple of months at a time in between and Id like to lessen the degradation of my tires. I do not plan on toting them around with me.
Cheri
Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That makes sense, Cheri. No offense intended - I guess I was reacting to the folks in the big 5'ers who buy expensive monogrammed tire covers with the Tweety Bird picture, ostentatiously apply them when they arrive at their campsite at 6PM, take them off at 9AM the next day, stow them in their "basement" space, and pull out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
2bcs1jrt

No offense taken. And as far as my mileage goes...my other car is a Prius
Cheri
Old 02-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Freedom

Harbor Freight has tire covers for 9.99 for a set of four. They are just like the ones I have for which I paid 24.00.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com
Item numbers are 93715 and 30041
The current sale catalog shows them for 9.99 through the 26th of Feb.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
kempert
Site Sponsor

Cool Tire covers

I was planning to buy covers for the tires on my TM. However, while reading the document created by Steverino from the Good Year site, the following jumped out at me:

Tire Appearance and Cleaning
o Tires contain additives to protect them from cracking. As the tire rolls and flexes, these additives rise to the surface of the rubber to protect it.
o Goodyear tires do not require dressings, appearance products or covers to protect them

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone seen any factual info that contradicts this? I was thinking that maybe some (or many) manufacturers do not contain the additives to their tires. Surely, G Y wouldn't print this in order to sell more tires.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
PopBeavers

It is my understanding from reading various trailer forums that all ST tires contain these additives.

I never worry about covering my tires. When not out camping it is parked in the garage. I figure one weekend a month of sun exposure won't matter much.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #17
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Now that the weather is starting to improve, I finally opened up the TM. Below is a link to two photos of the tire covers I improvised. Don't remember where I found the material. Perhaps as part of the packaging material for an appliance? Easy to attach and store . . . just rolls up or can be placed under the bed matress.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...95282683SjftDQ
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
cali camping

Not sure the material you are using will block the suns UV rays, which I believe is one of the accelerated deterioration factors you are trying to control...
From a tire manufacturers website:

The primary reasons for RV tire deterioration include the following:. Ozone and UV exposure.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
jellis

FWIW, I originally bought the recommended size of covers, based on measuring the tire circumference. This was a disaster; so difficult to put on that I wouldn't go to all the trouble of removing skirt, etc. (I use only one, on the tire that gets the sun.) I returned the original set and, on a whim, bought the set for a tire one size larger. Works like a champ! It's just a little loose, but with the drawstring cinched up doesn't flap in the wind. It has gone through several rain and wind storms and just stays put.