TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
fentak

Default 2002 Jeep Liberty 2720SL or 3326

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty, 3.7L, automatic transmission with only 10,000 miles. I do not have the tow package but am going to add whatever it takes to make it the optimal TV. I'll add WDH, sway control, transmission cooler, air shocks, whatever. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. The only steep grade I would encounter would be going up and down Thompson Pass over Valdez, very, very infrequently. What would be the optimal after factory tow package? I'm torn between the 2720SL since it is just my wife and me. But think I might like the 3326 because we will use it a lot. Is it unrealistic to tow the 3326 with my vehicle? Even if I max out the tow package?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the forum!

We have spent the past two winters towing our 2003 2720 SL from Western MA to AZ, CA, FL, GA and back up the east coast. A lot of information has been posted regarding the towing abilities (and limits) of the Jeep Liberty. As a trial member you may not be able to access any links I post here. Instead go to the Forum main page (TrailManor Owner's Forum) and click on "Search". In the window type in "Jeep Liberty" (without the ""). Scroll down to the thread titled "archy" and read the many posts to that thread. There are other threads that will come up in the search query, all of which can add additional information.

Our 2004 Liberty Sport is off road rated and came with a transmission cooler. The only thing(s) we had to add were the receiver and brake controller.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You might also check out Ted Chance's posts in this thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=30624

During your Trial Membership (30 days), you should be able to see the entire board. But when that time expires, the Technical Sections will largely disappear.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
KANTOQUAD

we recently bought a 2720 and live in the foothills of the sierra nevada. I have a 2006 liberty with the tow and off road package. We have only been out twice and have never really towed anything before, but here is what I found. Going uphill in the mountains is no real problem, it slows down a bit, but not unsafely. The problem is going down steep hills. I can feel it pushing me and that seems to be amplified with wet roads. I found that tapping the break control helps, but is is still unsettling. I wouldn't tow anything larger if you plan to travel nears any hills. In fact, we will probably get a larger TV next year for the added safety. And lets face it, no matter how much I like my liberty it wont be too hard to fing a larger tow vehicle that doesn't get too much worse than my 15mpg
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
meriflower

We have a 2005 Jeep Liberty with the trailer tow package. You will need a transmission cooler, a class III hitch. You will also need to get it wired for electric brakes. Also a WDH and a brake controller (we have the Prodigy and have been happy with it).

We most recently towed a 17 ft, 3500 GVWR popup with our Liberty with no problems, up/down mountains and in rain storms. We didn't care for the canvas and recently looked at hard sided "popups" and decided on a Hi-Lo. Its 19 ft and the GVWR is 3840.

I agree with Texas Camper, that the 3326 at 26' tow length would not be a good match with the Liberty due to the Liberty's wheel base. And without looking at my Jeep manual IIRC the 3326 is longer than what Chrysler recommends. You probably have the same chart in your Jeep manual that you can reference for yourself. So in my opinion, the 2720SL would be a better match for the Liberty.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Queeniereads

I am so glad to hear folks addressing the wheel base issue. Before our TM we had a lovely travel trailer that fell well within the weight limits. We had a terrible accident out west and we feel that we might have not lost everything but our lives if we had known more about the wheel base. You are right to be concerned and should always plan for the emergency situations. We thought we were covered. We were driving a Mercury Mountianeer with towing package, wired brakes, reasonable sway protection, etc. We thought we were covered. So, if you feel that the tail is wagging the dog, it probably is. Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 01-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
USAFCOP

I tow my 3023 with my KJ, it did push me a bit down the hills until I got a prodigy controller, and I adjust the boost on it when I go down the rockies. I also downshift to 2nd to keep my speed down, as by the time I get to the top, I am already going pretty slow, I want to keep it that way. The push usually doesn't hit me too bad until over 45mph. I also try to tow with no water when I go over the mountains, as the camp ground I stay in at MOAB has water hookup for me. The lighter the better, as it is already a bit heavy for the KJ's wheel base.